Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Not applicable

yap i got the same too!!!! bla bla bla people wake up dont deal with those rubbers , just  ignore

Login to Me Too

virenk
New Community Member

I received this email below..............scam, scam, scam.

Safety Measures to Protect Both Buyer and Seller.         

This message is originated from PayPal verification center.           We have received an order from  NAME REMOVED  regarding the payment made to your PayPal account.           We hereby inform you that MTCN control number and sender information (name and address) must be received at our verification center in order for us to have your account credited With the $1,500.00USD "PENDING" in your account and as soon as final verification is done your fund will be deposited into your PayPal account immediately.  

The payment has been successful. Your fund will be credited within the next 24hours for the processing of your order once our database has the final verification of delivery  and transaction date. This new measure is taking to protect both the sellers and buyers against fraudulent act.PayPal payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the agent fee is been sent so as to secure both the buyers and the sellers. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send all your question regarding this transaction to the PayPal Customer Care at:  alert-updates

The alert-updates had an "officeemail" address...........reeks of a scam. 

Login to Me Too

Not applicable

It's fake you will send item and never see money. I received similar email it's fake I already reported it to paypall so hopefuly they will do something with it .People be aware, if somebody send you via paypal money should sow up in within 10 minutes there is not such a think as  holding funds.

Login to Me Too

temp02082012z
Contributor
Contributor

I GOT THE EXACT SAME EMAIL. is there any way to get a refund, preferably legally?... or is resorting to other methods my only hope for justice?

Login to Me Too

gnosy
Contributor
Contributor

nigerian scam,comon fraud,basic key words,sorry paypal is not about to try and mention this,you will get a fake check,you will get chargeback,you will lose,see the list of victims with your same post,peace

Login to Me Too

You guys saved me.  Thank you so much.  I am selling bedroom furniture on Craigslist  for $3,000 and received the message below.  I'm pretty new to selling things online but I didn't just fall off the back of a hay truck... 

Messages came from two different email addresses which I am not permitted to put in this message.  Emails do not look like they came from Nigeria as it was a Randy ******* from a GoogleMail account.

Thanks For Getting back to me ..I am buying this furniture and i am a military presently on a mission, and due to secrets of this mission, phone calls,and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert.i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking , but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it,I don't mind paying additional $50 for it in order for you to take  the ad down from craigslist and also to be assured that it is already mine .i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the item and pls if you don't have paypal account yet,  it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you used for the registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the payments  US Army OIF Veteran 

Login to Me Too

Not applicable

i also got email from guy buying cameras for  wife he was in army hahahah i knew is suspicious because guy emailed me fake paypal emails. Paypal doesnt hold money and released only when you provide  tracking number.Good you didnt finish transaction I am happy for you ,Be aware!!!!!

Login to Me Too

gillen936
Contributor
Contributor
Hello
  thanks for reply,i am at the sea presently.I am buying this for one of my client as a surprise gift.The Post Is Okay by me.I can  only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments, and if you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com  it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l can pay.  I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted, and also do get back to me with your best offer. l will be waiting for your reply asap.       scam! scam! scam!   this is from a David Johnson     davjohnsn@gmail
Login to Me Too

nevesarual
New Community Member

Me too, SCAM SCAM SCAM   here is mine........(from David Richard)

I have made the payment now into your paypal account *************and i believe paypal have notified you by now to your paypal email address  *****************check your email for their message, i sent the total amount of $5,200.00 USD and paypal said they would be holding the funds because of the shipping fees of $1,000.00 USD meant for the pick up of the item from your place,so you have to send the $1000.00 USD upfront as soon as possible today as the item is being delivered to Dad in United kingdom you will need you to send the $1000.00 USD to my pick up agent Headquarters via western union money transfer (this can be done from the post office as they usually have a western union agent there), I added extra $200 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more than $150 but just to be sure i added $200 so you can be able to send the $1000.00 USD, you can send the money to the shipping agent verified information paypal sent to you, here is the shipping agent info below

Please kindly email the necessary western union details to paypal which you will be given at the western union office after the $1,000.00 USD has been sent as well as the sender's name and address used to send the money through western union as well as the secret question and answer used in sending the $1,000.00 USD so i can forward it to paypal or better still you can email it to paypal directly for security purpose,that is fine with me as well,So for the money i sent to be credited into your account after they have received the information they will release the whole money $5,200.00 USD into your paypal count,and my pickup agent will contact you after they have received the payment in order to book a time for the pick up to be done at your convenient time, I will be waiting for you to get this done as soon as possible and get back to me.Take Care

Login to Me Too

Aaak
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved this email. Should i trust it? Notice he says he has a personal FedEx account, is it safe or should i ask for further details?

Thanks for the reply,i am located in Remsenburg city
in NY,i really need to buy this and send to my
son schooling outside the state as a gift .I have
been trying to buy this on eBay but its so very stressful
buying on eBay.I will offer youThanks for the reply,i am located in
Remsenburg city
in NY,i really need to buy this and send to my
son schooling outside the state as a gift .I have
been trying to buy this on eBay but its so very stressful
buying on eBay.I will offer you $120 so as to close the
auction as soon as possible.I will be paying through PAYPAL
because i have a verified account with pay-pal.So kindly get back with
your pay-pal email address so i can make payment into your pay-pal
account.Once payment clears,shipment will be handled by me through my
personal FedEx account,so you don't have to pay for
shipment.Get back to me if my approval is granted.I would like to see
the pictures please.
Thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.