Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

AZRiley
Contributor
Contributor

I just got one of these emails. I did notice that the sender's email address looks like it says it's from <removed>, (spaces are there because it won't let me post the actual PayPal email address) but the L in PayPal is actually a capital i, not an L. I copied and pasted the address, and when I did the font changed and it shows that it is actually an i.

Login to Me Too

Supertech427
Contributor
Contributor
I received an email stating my account would be closed if I didn't update my account info. The message looked authentic, but I don't trust using the link they sent. Has anyone else run into this?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Supertech427

Paypal would not ask you to update confidential  / financial info via a link in an email.

They would tell you to log in to your paypal account and go to the resolution centre to sort things.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Supertech427
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you so much for your help! I truly appreciate it. It was stressing me out, lol. Have a wonderful day!
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You're welcome.  Always trying to help someone learn.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What made it look authentic?

Did you verify the email address as being absolutely from payPal?

Did you log onto your account from a computer to check status?

Login to Me Too

Supertech427
Contributor
Contributor
The letterhead looks authentic, but the email address looks suspicious. It came from "noreplyfromnotif accountscenterproblemsolved I can't imagine what needs updating. I logged in from my browser, and I have no messages or activity on my account.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Graphic letterhead is no indication of being authentic; it doesn't take much to copy a graphic.

The email address is only suspicious it is NOT PayPal; it's fake and that's way beyond the level of being suspicious.

So, it just a scam to collect your information.  Hopefully you did not clik on the link.

Login to Me Too

Supertech427
Contributor
Contributor
I didn't use the link. That's why I wanted to check. It looked authentic enough to be concerning, but I know how easy it is to replicate graphics. At the same time, I didn't want to make any assumptions
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Supertech427

Just read the info in my one and only post.............paypal would not ask you to use a link in an email they would tell you to go to log in normally and go to the resolution centre.

Forget it and delete it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.