Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

lodown
New Community Member

Just received fake email from someone claiming to be paypal service

Dear User With ID #74547854785157,

What's the problem?
We need a little bit more information about you to help confirm your identity.
You Must Follow This Instructions To Remove The Limitations
1. Click On 'Check It Here'
2. Login To Your Account .
3. Confirm Your Information , By Tapping Your Billing Address , Your Credit Card Information Correctly (IMPORTANT).

ticket id: '>

Login to Me Too

LGH13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Just got the following.  While I do have a PayPal account and the message arrived at a valid email address, it is not the email account I use for PayPal.  Beware!!!  DO NOT press the LOG IN NOW button.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Notice to *******@hotmail.com,

Your PayPal account has been limited because we've noticed significant changes in your account activity. As your payment processor, we need to understand these changes better.

This account limitation will affect your ability to:

• send or receive money
  • withdraw money

Also, you won't be able to:

• remove any bank accounts
  • remove credit cards
  • close your account

What to do next

Please log in to your PayPal account and provide the requested information before March 3, 2015 through the Account Review. If we don't receive the information before this deadline or we notice additional significant changes in your account activity, your account access may be further limited.

Log In Now

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you need further assistance, please click Contact at the bottom of any PayPal page.

Sincerely,

PayPal

Login to Me Too

kayleighlove
New Community Member

I'm trying to sell my camera via Gumtree and eBay, I keep getting text messages for replies to the Gumtree ad telling me they need more pictures and I am to send them my PayPal email, and everytime I list my item on eBay it gets sold on the off to a scammer! Sending me a message asking for my email and more pictures.. Have forwarded them to Spoof email and reported users! Can I not sell and item in peace?!

Login to Me Too

Rozberry
Contributor
Contributor

Sellers Beware! Watch out for offers to purchase your goods by an "oil rig worker"

Just listed my RV on Craigs List for $29,000. Received a text message within 24 hours asking  "what's your bottom dollar", I replied with list price then received the following two messages, seems this scammer does not have control of his canned response system:

"I am an offshort oil worker presently at the rig. I will arrange pickup. Please get back to me with your paypal email id so i can make an instant payment"

"I am ok with the price of your RV and willing to pay this sum via paypal. I am not able to come for inspection or pay by cash because I am an offshort oil worker presently at the rig. I will arrange pick up. Please get back to me with your paypal email id so I can make an instant payment.:

"I am ok with the price of your Rv and willing to pay this sum via paypal. I am not able to cme for inspection or pay by cash because: (cut off at this point)

Login to Me Too

Diggz
New Community Member

Here's what the email that I received yesterday looks like:

SUBJECT: Important Information's On How To Complete Your Recent Transaction (Transaction ID:5X472815E1267414M)

Recent Payment Received From Eric M***** Has Been Successfully Confirmed By Us.

You have received a PayPal Payment of $2,495.25 USD from Eric M*****

A temporary hold has been placed on this transaction

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which includes the buyer's shipper's pick up fees.

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Walmart Transfer Office and send the $550.00 USD to the Agent and send  us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Ria money transfer Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE:  This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction. 

Please, Find below the name and address of the Transport Agent where the Funds would be sent via   Walmart Transfer.

Click Here To Locate The Nearest Walmart Office 

Western Union details or Moneygram sent to us by the Buyer.

Name: Daniel W****

City: Allentowm 

State: Pennsylvania 

Zip Code: 18105

Process:

1.Proceed to the western union outlet  or Moneygram

2.Send the money to the address above.

3.Get back to us with the following details,

Senders First Name:

Senders Last Name:

MTCN:

Scanned copy of the western union or Moneygram receipt:

Note: As soon as we receive the details above your account will be credited immediately,we shall credit your account with the sum of $2,495.25  along with the western union or Moneygram charges and We are doing this to protect the buyer from been ripped off and note we shall also credit your account along with the western union or Moneygram charges. The money should be sent through western union service (in minutes) So can you see we are very considerate about the safety of both buyer and seller.

If you have any question regarding this email or the buyer please contact us by replying to this email.

Thanks for using PayPal

PayPal Team

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It's a scam. All they want is your $550.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

RJGodfrey
New Community Member

I just received three mails today from separate email adresses. The emails in the subject line all stated there was something wrong with my personal information on my business account with PayPal. What concerns me is that they are utilizing official looking emails with graphics matching PayPal's and links that look legitimate. Which we all know are not. Strange this all started right after I refused to design a website that mirrored a Columbian agricultural website. The person trying to get me to do the site wanted all kinds of personal business information. Be careful everyone!

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Don't be concerned.

Paypal will always address you by your full name (on your account). Never Dear Customer or anything else.

If you ever have a concern about your account, Open your web browser, click in the URL window (where the HTTP addresses are displayed), type "paypal", then hold down your CTRL button and press the "Enter" key. This will take you directly to the PayPal site's login page. Login via www.paypal.com to check if there are any problems. Never use any link, or form, or anything else someone sends you to login to your PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

MDAG
Contributor
Contributor

I just received and email that cannot be from PayPal.  However It has the logo and even warnings about 

not giving out your password.  Their return email made no sense and the "TO" was not my email and their email address was bogus.

It asked to click on a link to "Confirm"

I believe these crooks exist and prosper because the companies do not devote the necessary resources to stop them.  After all if I would had fallen on this trap, PayPal, would had not been held responsible for the fraud.  Since ignoring these frauds do not affect financially PayPal, Banks and other institution why spend the resources to find these individuals and put them behind bars.

On many ocasions I have send details tracing information about scams I have receive only to receive a template response that clearly shows their lack of interest in being proactive in stoping and prosecuting these criminals.  It is too bad that civic responsability is lacking from vendors when it involves a few bucks to do the right thing.

This are my toughts.  MDAG

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Plain and simply, you are wrong. These scams exist (& make money) because most computer users are un-educated in using proper security techniques.  If stupid people weren't clicking on this crap, the scams wouldn't be out in 'Web land.  No money to be made, no incentive for the scammers.

On the flip side, that's exactly why PayPal is being pro-active in trying to stop these scams (& help secure, thru education, their users). Users ARE the weakest link in the security chain. (I know, I'm one of them) 🙂

PayPal's good reputation means a loooot of business for them!

The money PayPal makes by getting more customers doing transactions is their payoff. And a form letter is just to let you know they've received your email and are acting on it.  Would you prefer they send you nothing at all?! lol.

Congrats on NOT being fooled! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.