Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Piccolo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, and when they give too much info & say they are buying for someone else - red flag.  Glad you opted out.

Login to Me Too

jeri28
New Community Member

where can i send false email from paypal?

Login to Me Too

Piccolo
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted PayPal with mine.

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Submit any emails you suspect may be fake to

spoof@paypal.com

You will get an auto-reply usually immediately (& possibly a confirmation email later) from PayPal. Neither one requires you to respond or take any action whatsoever.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

cwright003
New Community Member

Is this email that I received legitimate?

SUBJECT TITLE:  Your Account Paypal Will Be Limited , Update Your Information

Your account Will Be Limited.

Dear customer, Your Account Will Be Limited , Until We Here From You . To Update Your Info . Simply click on the web address below

Confirm My Account Now

Once you add a payment method, shop easier at millions of great retailers like the ones below.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi cwright003

NO its not genuine

Genuine ppal emails:

Always address u as Dear full name

Never ask u to click on links/downloads/attachments

Never ask for personal info

Never ask u to click on links from private emails

Always log in  via official site never from your private emails

Login to Me Too

Jenn1

Subject: [PayPal] :Your account is limited now must be updated now | Case(SE-95-SN-25-89-SK)

I recieved the same email about 30 minutes ago with the above subject. Delete it. I never follow links to open accounts. I clicked the link Started now, who says that? Anyhow, I clicked the link and "signed in" using a fabricated username & password. I filled out all the requested information with vulgar messages. I entered fake info for the debit card and it accepted it all. Says all the limits have been lifted and redirects you to PayPal when they have all the fake or real information they want.

Login to Me Too

smart-enough
New Community Member

Just got an email with PAYPAL as its sender but a different address showed up when my cursor hovered over the address.

Hoped to tell some administrator and here is what it said. I deleted.

I copied the message so you could trace it, but this website wouldn't let me send it to you

oh well

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi smart-enough

Send to spoof@paypal.com then delete

Login to Me Too

fursecu
New Community Member

fake email:     @ <removed>

PayPal

We need your help Your account has been suspended, as an error was detected in your informations.
The reason for the error is not certain, but for security reasons, we have suspended
your account temporarily

We need you to update your informations for further use of your PayPal account.

NOTE: If this is not resolved within 72 hours, we will be forced to susupend your account as it
may be used fraudulently. The purpose of this verification is to ensure your security.

You are currently made disabled of :   Adding a payment method   Adding a billing address   Sending payment   Accepting payment

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.