Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

59Souls
New Community Member

Andy 

This is another example it was from paypa.inc

Very bad --

The link is was phishing - So I deleted it . But thught people should know

Best

----------------------------------------------------------------------
We need your help

Dear ,

There was a time, we will send you an email asking you to us help solve a problem with your PayPal account. your Account is still temporarily restricted because you do not have contacted us.

We understand it can be frustrating not being able to access completely to your PayPal account. We want to work with you recovery as fast as possible to the normal operation of your account.

What is the problem?

Your PayPal account sharing information with at least one other account PayPal with problems. Please solve problems in a within 14 days or we will further restrict your account.

File Number: PP-003-347-747-817

How you can help

In general, solving the problem is very simple. Most time, it is to give us more information on your account or recent transactions you have made.

To help us solve the problem and what it will be possible to or can not do with your account until the resolution of the problem, log in to your account and go to the Resolution.

kind regards, PayPal

For your protection DELETED LINK FOR THE GROUP to login into your account and verify your information
Identity.

Please do not reply to this automated email directly.

Aide :

Espace sécurité :

Veuillez ne pas répondre à cet email, car toute réponse envoyée à cette adresse ne sera pas traitée....

Adresse email PayPal : PP638 - 83e8a88e5db91

Login to Me Too

Bagwellfan
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal        

Unfortunately , Your account is temporarily blocked

please follow the instructions below

Dear ΡayΡal Customer,

ΡayΡal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system.
We recently reνiewed your account, and we need more information to prove your ownership .
to help us to provide you with a secure serνice.
Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitiνe account features will be limited.
We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconνenience.

Why is my account access limited?

we haνe reason to belieνe that your account was accessed by a third party.
Βecause protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we haνe limited access
to sensitiνe ΡayΡal account features.
We understand that this may be an inconνenience but please understand that this temporary
limitation is for your protection.

How can i get my account fully restored ?

Please follow the link below and login to your account then reνiew your account information

Confirm now

Sincerlye ,ΡayΡal customer department!

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is a 100% scam.

Just hover of the "Confirm Now" link to see (in the bottom-left corner of your browser) where it will take you if you were to click it.

It ain't a PayPal domain. Sure, it's a PayPal folder but, it's located on the wrong server (the 1st part of the link's address).

(I've written the website's owner telling them they've been hacked and what to do about it.)

Legitimate PayPal corespondence will never ask you to click an email link like that.

Thanks for sharing.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Karasu_z95
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andy!

I need help to protect my self from fraudulent chargeback!

I have no problem refunding the money for my "digital goods". And i am not accepting payments from credit cards either because i am very aware that i am liable for chargebacks fee! HOWEVER! someone has donated me 200.0 Euro with credit card and in the next minute it was already disputed! I didnt even had time to send the money back. I have talked to this scammer! and he wont cancel that fraudulent chargeback! I dont want to loose 20 euro fee from a scammer with fraudulent activity!

Here are some proofs!

Spoiler
Spoiler

And i know this scammer! he tryed to scam me in past by using bank wire transfer method!

I wish to know what can i do, how can i be protected from the bank fee!

If i simply refund the money, will i still get fee from his bank? If not! how can i report him? is there any chance to ban him and avoid fee?

I dont want anything to do with chargebacks! its not first time he scam. He scammed one my friends as well "by selling digital goods"

If you want i can provide proofs of my website! and people donate for me! for "digital goods"!

This happend few min ago. Im rly scared for these scammers because i am not seller protected! 

PP-003-553-338-328

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't get upset about this. It looks like you've got everything you need to dispute the chargeback fees (should they occur).  I find it hard to believe that PayPal is not aware of these attempted chargebacks (for no good reason) and is pro-actively taking steps to stop them from occurring.

Login to Me Too

gmc_notforsale
New Community Member

I posted a truck for sale on Craigslist and received a text saying they were interested, seemed legit unitl "Andy" said that i had to go to Western Union to pay $750 in shipping fees!  RED FLAG! I told him i didn't have the money and he said he had included it in the payment which would be released to me. I told him I was not going to send the money and he said I was acting "strange" and was going to report me to paypal. I told him I was contacting Paypal and he stopped replying.

PLEASE  PLEASE PLEASE do not fall for this scam. Any time someone wants you to give up money before they pay you for the purchase, it is more than likely a scam.

Login to Me Too

4uBySu
New Community Member
This email will be brief. We would appreciate your prompt attention to this email PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account and made adjustments resulting in the following changes. Unfortunately, access to your account has been limited. These are the steps required to restore your account access: - Download the attachment from this email - Open the attachment with your web browser (Option: Internet Explorer) - Fill in the required details Should access to your account remain limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations on the use of your account or may result in eventual account closure. Sincerely, PayPal Account Review Team
Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is definitely a scam.

PayPal does NOT EVER ask you to download anything... EVER! (the form you've been asked to fill in will only send your information to somewhere you don't want it to go).

Thank you very much for sharing.

This is a slight modifcation on the old "Your account has been limited due to suspicious activity..." scam. In this one, your account access is supposedly limited by changes PayPal made. Just no mention of any supposed Suspicious Activity being the cause of the fake limitations.

Login to Me Too

SpendFriend

Just got an usual offer from our listing on Gumtree to purchase a 1963 EJ Holden from my husband in Victoria Australia by a supposed sailor who wanted to purchase the vehicle for his son's graduation and have it freightered up to Northern Territory. He is unable to call due to 'the nature of his work' and don't have access to his bank account online as he is not with his credit card details but have access to his ANZ bank account linked up with his PayPal account. He is offering to pay an extra $300 for us to take the ad down. The whole thing sounded not quite right... 

This thread demonstrated how the transaction could have turned out! Phew...

Login to Me Too

Gold63

Here is another fraud email claiming to come from PayPal Security department. But if you look at the body of the email the dates are wrong and asks you to click a link to update your information. If you look at the link it will redirect you to outside website (assuming its made up to look like PayPal) I did not click it so i dont know what it looks like -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear valued PayPal® member:

Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of the paypal
account we have issued this warning message.

It has come to our attention that your PayPal® account information needs to be
updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to
reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes
out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into
any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.
Please update your records on or before June 30, 2005.

Once you have updated your account records your paypal account
service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your PayPal® records click on the following link:

<removed link for safety>

Thank You.
PayPal® UPDATE TEAM

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, PayPal® will
periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.
Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_privacy-outside

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This hit my Spam folder but I thought it would be good to post here for everyone to be aware of it.

Email Header results:

Received: from paypal.com (199.253.203.254) by
BL2FFO11FD007.mail.protection.outlook.com (10.173.161.3) with Microsoft SMTP
Server id 15.1.26.17 via Frontend Transport; Fri, 5 Dec 2014 16:53:12 +0000
Received: from jfnfvmlxuc (jfnfvmlxuc [169.74.53.178])
by paypal.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0150996922
for <#####@########.com>; Fri, 5 Dec 2014 16:53:12 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 16:48:12 +0000
Delivered-To: *Removed*

*more info*

X-Microsoft-Antispam: UriScan:;
X-Microsoft-Antispam: BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:;SRVR:DM2PR06MB686;
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AVStamp-Service: 1.0
X-Exchange-Antispam-Report-Test: UriScan:(264069035092666);
X-Exchange-Antispam-Report-CFA-Test: BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:(602002)(2003001);SRVR:DM2PR06MB686;
Received-SPF: SoftFail (protection.outlook.com: domain of transitioning
paypal.com discourages use of 199.253.203.254 as permitted sender)
Authentication-Results: spf=softfail (sender IP is 199.253.203.254)
smtp.mailfrom=security(at)paypal.com;
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: 9
X-Exchange-Antispam-Report-CFA-Test: BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:;SRVR:DM2PR06MB686;
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: BL2FFO11FD007.protection.gbl
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Anonymous
X-MS-Exchange-Transport-EndToEndLatency: 00:00:04.8406945

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.