Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

crystal1
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved an e-mail supposedly from paypal.It read " Notification of Limited Account Access RXI112.When I opened the e-mail security in my computer notified me to close because this was a phishing site.Has anyone else had a similar problem and who did they contact to resolve this issue. Thank-you!

Login to Me Too

bigpumpguy
New Community Member

hi: yes i recieved one of those emails today about that i send the email to ( spoof@paypal.com

so they could check it out, do not go to this site and put in your info-you could be very sorry.

Login to Me Too

FuzzyLogic
Contributor
Contributor

I just received the same email:

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

Dear member,

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Why is my account access limited?

Monday, January 24, 2011: We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. We have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features in case your account has been accessed by an unauthorized third party. We understand that having limited access can be an inconvenience, but protecting your account is our primary concern. (Your case ID for this reason is PP-539-501-5802.)

How can I restore my account access?

Please visit the Resolution Center and complete the "Steps to Remove Limitations."

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your account access.

You can also verify your account by logging into your PayPal account at:

https://www.paypal.com/us/.

Thank you for using PayPal!

Login to Me Too

smcclain
New Community Member

Received the same email yesterday. It appears that the website may have been brought down. The address that it directs you to is **malicious link removed** Clearly not a Paypal site.

Login to Me Too

amw
New Community Member

I too received a message at 8:30 p.m est that access to my account has been limited.  I also went to the Resolution Center site and received the phishing message.  I tried to call the paypal phone number and have had no success talking to someone about this issue.  All I get is automatic messages.  I is now 9:09 and still have had no success. Any help would be appreciated

Login to Me Too

crystal1
Contributor
Contributor

I sent an e-mail and also called and haven't recieved any reply! I originally sent the entire e-mail to"spoof @ paypal.com"

Login to Me Too

prlc
New Community Member

I sent mine (without opening the attachment) to spoof@paypal.com.

This was thier reply:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello ,

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
spoof@paypal.com, you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.

Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.

Thanks,

PayPal

This email is sent to you by the contracting entity to your User
Agreement, either PayPal Ince, PayPal Pte. Ltd or PayPal (Europe) S.à
r.l. & Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions, Registered Office:
5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

I'm very glad you folks have each other to lean on! This turned out well for everyone.

It's terrible that people try to use PayPal's name to get access to your accounts.  We take this sort of thing very seriously and do what we can to stop criminals like this wherever possible. 

The advice given here was good; if you get an email that just looks odd or if you're not sure of it, send it to spoof@paypal.com.  We'll look at it and tell you what's what.  We won't have links in emails telling you there's a problem with their account; we'll tell you to log into your account to see what the problem is.

I'm chalking this up to a win for the good guys here!

Andy

Login to Me Too

TMariehas3
New Community Member

I received this email today and noticed right off the bat that the return address was to paypall.

Notice the 2 L's in Paypal...

Anyway, I'm forwarding it to Paypal so maybe they can do something, though I'm sure the perpetrators will only change their address and continue on as usual.

Remember: Paypal will NEVER ask you to click on an emailed link and log in with personal information.

Login to Me Too

mssdm43

I just got one this morning.  In the past when I received similar emails I forwarded them to Paypay.  I believe the email address to forward to is phishing at paypal.com.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.