Examples of Suspected Fraud or Fake Emails

PayPal_Andy

Hey Everybody!

In an effort to make things easier to find and research, I'm going to consolidate as many threads as possible where we have examples of people trying to defraud hard working sellers (Craigslist emails, 'PayPal' emails asking you to send money outside of PayPal, etc).  This will also be used as a master thread for future posts regarding this same situation.

When you post your examples here, please remember to not include last names or contact information of whoever is sending these emails.  There's no way to confirm if that person has been defrauded as well and the name is being used fraudulently.

Thanks for your cooperation and remember, keep the conversation productive, on task, and above all, keep it clean. I know these things can be difficult and frustrating, but bleep filled posts or posts that look like government redacted files will never benefit anyone. 😄

Andy

Login to Me Too
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You should ask your countrymen why they're giving your country a bad reputation world-wide, not us. If your Police & Judicial system were doing a better job, it may not be as out-of-control as it is.

The reason the world looks at Nigeria as a source country for a lot of these scams is because Nigeria IS a source country for a lot of these scams! Though, scams originate from every country on the planet.

In case you hadn't noticed, this forum is all about revealing these scams (thereby negating their effectiveness).

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'
Login to Me Too

Mariaproreli

Hi paypal send me this email.Fake?

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

100% guarantee?!  RED FLAG! VERY suspicious.  You've obviously started some sort of dialogue with these people and are into 'Phase 2'. They certainly sound like they ARE Scammers. Do NOT send them anything! Instead, forward the email to spoof@paypal.com .  They will contact you after they evaluate it. (you should then be easier able to distinguish between a genuine email & a fake).

Phase 1 is where they contact you and offer you MORE money than what you were asking for (for 'shipping' fees or a number of other excuses).

Login to Me Too

paload
Contributor
Contributor

someon fraud please help details below

Chargeback Settlement (Unique Transaction ID # 3D246208BM989371G)
See related 8F086565YG878162R

Original Transaction
 Date     Type     Status     Details     Gross     Fee     Net
 Jun 4, 2016    Payment From <removed>     Completed     Details    $5.20 USD     -$0.53 USD     $4.67 USD

Related Transactions
 Date     Type     Status     Details     Gross     Fee     Net
 Jun 15, 2016    The funds that were placed on temporary hold are now available for use     Removed     Details    -$5.20 USD     $0.53 USD     -$4.67 USD
 Jun 25, 2016    Update to Reversal     Canceled     Details    $4.67 USD     $0.00 USD     $4.67 USD
 Jun 25, 2016    Chargeback Settlement     Completed     ...    -$5.20 USD     -$10.00 USD     -$15.20 USD

Name:    
    Chargeback Settlement
Total amount:    
    -$5.20 USD
Fee amount:    
    -$10.00 USD
Net amount:    
    -$15.20 USD

Option Names and Values:

One Time Payment: load 100
Enter Recipient's Number: <removed>

Date:    
    Jun 25, 2016
Time:    
    18:02:22 GMT+08:00
    Completed

Subject:    

Chargeback Settlement

Login to Me Too

Seymour-
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

doesn't look like fraud to me. maybe filing a dispute would be better if you think it's an unwarranted charge.

Login to Me Too

hrisit0
New Community Member

Hello,

I think I have been a target of a fraud group. Here are the email addresses they use:
<email addresses removed>. Please be careful if you receive emails from these accounts.

<Note from Community Forum Admin PayPal_Michael: While we share your concern about fake emails, please do not include any email addresses in your posts. This violates the Community Forum Guidelines (see Announcements > Community Guide > Rules and Guidelines) and it also might help the fraudsters! Check out "Is This Email From PayPal?" in the Moderator Tips section for more information on how to spot fake emails. Thanks!>

After they saw a listing in a Bulgarian site about a furniture, they wanted to pay immediately and receive the object with a shiping agency (of their choice). I got suspicious at that time. After a lot of email conversation, we continued with chat in Gmail and here it is in the attachment

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Login to Me Too

Truckrat
Contributor
Contributor

E-Mails that come from   Service at paypal dot com   are not ligitimate if service is spelt with a capital 'S'.  A ligitimate E-mail from PayPal uses a lower case 's'. However, caution should always be used. If the E-mail says money was sent and awaiting proof that you shipped the package then it is a fake E-mail. If money is sent to you via PayPal then the money is available to you immediatly. 

Login to Me Too

Rae_Galid

Hi everyone:

I am new here: just mulling over a decision of whether to use PayPal as a payment system for an online business I am starting. This thread is such an education (and, forgive me, somewhat entertaining because of the depths that a person can go to to cheat) as far as buyer scams are concerned. Just want to ask the more experienced sellers here: what happens or what do PayPal do if a scammer-buyer claims that the sold and delivered product is defective/bad/not-as-advertised. I have concerns because I have read of "buyers" returning not the item(s) sent but other things (in one case, instead of a tube amplifier, bricks!).

Does PayPal protect us sellers from these kinds of scams?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Kevin544325
New Community Member

Yet another scammer for auto on Craigslist via Paypal.  First the details, examples of EMAIL's below..  Be aware of scammers who use:

EMail: <<removed>>

Email: <<removed>>

Phone text from: <<removed>>

Supposed shipping E-Mail:

[quote]

Best Line Delivery Service
Shipping of your personal effects, Automobiles, furniture and household goods.Weekly shipping to over 5000 destinations. Daily collection from anywhere in the World.

Quality Overseas Moving Services from Best Line Delivery Service. As full members of BIFA we pride ourselves in bringing safe, secure, cost saving services to our customers.

We specialize in looking after your belongings by securely  
packing them with our unique BEST LINE DELIVERY SERVICE (link to above Email)

I have made the payment now. PayPal will contact you with the payment confirmation mail regarding the payment. The shipping company wants $1,800 for the pick up and delivery and i have included it to the payment i sent. The shipping company will also get in touch with you with the details and information you will need to send the money to the Pick Up Agent.

Thanks and get back to me as soon as the fund has been sent.

Sincerely,

Mike.

LINE DELIVER SERVICE (link to above Email) offering 
full marine insurance which is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance.  
We also use our buying power to get the best shipping rates 
available for your move.

We  have daily collections from all over the world and weekly sailings to over 5000 different destinations worldwide.

Our experienced members of staff   are here to make your move as quick, smooth and hassle free as possible. They will be on hand to answer any questions or queries that you 
may have about your move.

We have successfully calculated the pick up cost according to the delivery address given to us by the buyer. The total pick up cost is $1,800.00 USD. However, we have been asked to expect the pick up cost from you through Western Union Fund Transfer. You will send the pick up cost to our agent who will come for the pick up. Below is the details you will need to send the money: 

Name: Mary <<removed>

Address: <<removed>>

City: Baltimore

State: MD

Zip code: 21222

You will need to send the money through Western Union transfer. You will need to send the following information to us as soon as you have sent the money:

MTCN 
Sender's full Name and full Address 
Security Question and Answer

We will be looking forward to read from you so as to know when we should expect the money and.
time to arrange for the pick up date

For further information, Please reply to this message with any question you might have.

Thank you,

Still not convinced, get back to us through our Customer Care Email Desk
        @ (<<removed>>) For customers feedback

Best Line Delivery Service     Online Forms   Moving Tips (ALL E-mail LINKS TO ABOVE E-MAIL)

The contents of this website are subject to the intellectual property rights of Best Line Delivery Service
and are copyright ©Best Line Delivery Service.

[/quote]

Email's sent:

[quote]

Whats the condition and why are you selling it?I'm just asking about it to make sure its in a good condition, so can you assure me that i will not be disappointed? I'm trying to Buy it online.also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will come for it. Im okay with the price and condition, I can only pay you via one of the fastest and most secured ways to pay online (PayPal).. Do You Have A Verified PayPal account? Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment through PayPal. my shipper will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment clears into your account,and it would be my pleasure buying this from you so i would ask some questions before we go on

Are you the first owner of it?
Why are you selling it?
When have you been using it?
whats your last asking price? 
Do you have an account with paypal?  

Looking forward to read back from you

[/quote]

[quote]

I have made the payment now. PayPal will contact you with the payment confirmation mail regarding the payment. The shipping company wants $1,800 for the pick up and delivery and i have included it to the payment i sent. The shipping company will also get in touch with you with the details and information you will need to send the money to the Pick Up Agent.

Thanks and get back to me as soon as the fund has been sent.

Sincerely,

Mike.

[/quote]

Login to Me Too

joannebrave
Contributor
Contributor

is any one having problems with pay pal im taking them to cort what they are saying about online is true its the devils work its ruining the world and the stupit people are letting it im a buessnes owner and my wifes name ia on my paypal account she autherrised me to speak at least 20 times of me calling paypal doesnt want to get it through there thick penny pinching

heads they are agravating me

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.