Appealing case wrongfully favored to the buyer

RachelK_VA
New Community Member
Hello, A claim case opened by a buyer was closed 2 days ago by PayPal in favor of the buyer, refunding her. However, I have postal receipt + tracking # all showing that according to USPS tracking the package was in fact received by the buyer!! According to the website a seller has 15 days to appeal a closed case. However, when I go to enter the tracking information to submit my appeal I get an error message saying "option not available". This woman now not only has my merchandise but also got her $$ back -- so she got it for free! I have emailed PayPal and also am awaiting a call back from the 1-800 number. Anyone else go through a similar experience? Were you able to resolve this? If so, how?!
Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what is the reason for opening the case?

Login to Me Too

BuyerBeware_RJ
Contributor
Contributor

I had a case pending where the seller took payment and never delivered.  The seller's website is no longer active.  After lodging my complaint with PayPal, I attempted to escalate within the 20-day period after the complaint was lodged as the seller never responded.  When I attempted to escalate through the PayPal Resolution Center, the only options on the screen were "Resolve" or "Cancel".  I have now been informed that the case is closed.  Why does PayPal offer a resolution service that errs on the side of **bleep** the customer?  The Catch-22 ... you must escalate within 20 days or your case will be closed, but there is no option to escalate your case therefore it is closed.  Does anyone know the appeal process for closed cases?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

How did you initially file the dispute, not received or not as described?

On what day did you attempt to escalate the dispute to a claim?

Had the seller already escalated the dispute to a claim?

Login to Me Too

BuyerBeware_RJ
Contributor
Contributor

The initia dispute was filed in the Resolution Center on May 4, 2017 and classified as "Item Not Received."  On May 20, I wrote to the seller again (via the Resolution Center) and informed them that I intended to escalate the matter.  The seller never responded.  On May 20 and May 22 I logged into the Resolution Center to escalate the issue.  There was no option to escalate - the screen only showed "Resolve" or "Cancel."  Thank you for your help!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Fortunately I've never been involved in a dispute, so I don't what you are supposed to see only that you needed to escalate within 20 day.  Being proactive, I would have phoned PayPal support immediately on the 20th as I know escalation must take place before 20 days expires.  For now you need to phone PayPal support and explain just the facts:  the actual dates and the details on those dates.  If the first agent doesn't comprehend English, politely decline and phone again.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if you have used your credit card,just file a chargeback with your credit card.

Login to Me Too

Nwest75
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the exact same position. Buyer located outside the U.S opened up a case against me claiming he didn't receive the package. Tracking states it was delivered. I uploaded tracking. I tried to explain to PayPal that the USPS doesn't allow signature confirmation to deliveries outside the U.S. I appealed the case but PayPal favored the Buyer. Basically, the buyer received the item for free plus the value of the item. PayPal needs to revise their policy to protect the seller against buyers defrauding the system. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Nwest75

Sellers need to comply with PayPal policies for seller protection.  If signature confirmationis required, then pay whatever is required for shipping with signature requred.

If it is only tracking to buyer, then you need to pay whatever it takes for tracking to buyer's address.

If you don't comply, you risk loss.

Login to Me Too

Nwest75
Contributor
Contributor
LIKE I SAID, USPS DOESNT ALLOW SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION FOR DELIVERIES OUTSIDE THE U.S.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.