Am I safe with sellers protection?

Dimitrios51
Contributor
Contributor

Hello guys,at first I think you should know that I am from Greece so you could help me better.I am using paypal some time now but all that time I was using it for buying things over the internet,
such as from ebay,amazon and other European and Chinese stores.Now it's time to sell something.I don't own a business so I don't need a business account.More especially I want to sell an used XBOX 360
for around 100$ and a 20$ Steam Gift Card I own but I will never use.The first is a material which will be shipped but the gift card would be selled as a "digital good".
I would like to know what would happen if the buyer request a refund-chargeback for "not receiving the product" or for "not working code",when talking about the steam gift card...
How could paypal protect me-the seller,if the buyer is a scammer and liar and requests a refund?
And something else...Would I have any problems with account limitation or something if I do sell those goods? Thanks 🙂

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You will not be protected for digital goods.

You may be protected for item not received if you have tracking,  for Unauthorized Use and for chargeback coverage if you meet eligibility requirements.  Not as Described is not protected so you need to accept returns.

The protection terms of where the buyer is based apply if you sold the items outside of Greece.

As long as the items arrived as described, you communicate with buyer in a timely manner and update them in each stage in their order, supply shipping and tracking information, you should be ok.  But there is no guarante that your buyer is the most honest person in the world.  And you are ultimately held liable for any payments received into your PayPal account.  Reversals can happen even after you have withdrawn the payment or receive positive feedback.  Buyers have up to 180 days from date of payment to file PayPal dispute.  Depending on the card, they may have longer than 180 days to file chargeback.

Since brand name products and digital goods are high risk, there is a possibility for account limitation.  But if you resolve issues with the buyer without a dispute and resolve them quickly if there is a dispute.  The risk of that is low.  So hopefully you are not in a hurry for this money from the sales of these two items.  Leave it in the account for 6 months. Smiley Happy

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Dimitrios51
Contributor
Contributor

You said that I will not be protected for digital good,so if I sell the code,what could the buyer do if he is a scammer-liar? Is there any way I could lose the money he just sended me?

So if I want to be οk with the item I will ship,the best is to keep record of the conversation I have with the buyer,keep receipt of the post and tracking number? Also could that post help? https://www.paypal.com/hk/selfhelp/article/Is-my-transaction-eligible-for-PayPal-Seller-Protection-H...

Let's say I will not withdraw any money from the account but if I do any other purchase's in the future?

Login to Me Too

Dimitrios51
Contributor
Contributor

Ohh and something else,I searched on google those "high risk transactions" and all that showed up have to do with fraud.So high-risk transactions have to do with sending "a lot of money" if I understanded well?

Sorry for the silly questions,I have read many many posts,PP policies and other things I find on paypal webpage but I can't understand it well.I had never before dealt with such things(paypal transactions and selling goods online).

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

When it comes to selling, PayPal requires online documentation of  tracking code.  This means you add the postal service tracking number to the PayPal transcation.

Obviously, you can't do that with digital codes, so you would loose any dispute relating to item not received.

When selling you need to do a lot of research about risks and learn how to be smarter than the experienced buyers who know how to find gullible sellers.

Login to Me Too

Dimitrios51
Contributor
Contributor

But all that does not apply when someone send money via the option "Send money to friends and family",right?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Family and friends is not for purchases so there will be no goods transferred.  It has nothing to do with selling anything.

The sender of family/friends money could make a claim of unauthorized transfer to get a refund.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

read Paypal seller and buyer protection policy ,what is protected and what is not and how to prove you have shipped the item

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Do not use Family & Friends payment option to sell goods and services.  That is PayPal fee avoidance while the buyer is not covered by purchase protection.  If buyer reports a problem and PayPal find out you abused that option, PayPal at their discretion can block use of that function on your account.

If you are from Greece, the PayPal FAQ link you posted is Hong Kong based.  Are you selling this stuff in Hong Kong?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Dimitrios51
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen a lot of people using the family and friends feature to buy things on the internet.

Also I didn't even notice that it say's hong kong 😛

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.