Scam protection

Labrador
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have a boat for sale and been asked for my Paypal details from a prospective buyer, so he can transfer funds to me.   The person claims to not be able to use the "Pay by Paypal" facility on the sale site and wants to send funds directly.

My question is, what harm can be done by a scam artist by me giving my Paypal details?  Can they use my Paypal account to buy things or somehow get my credit card details and start spending on that?

Any advice much appreciated.

Graham

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I would be very wary, you have no seller protection for selling a boat.

There is also a scam going around where the person sends you an email that is supposed to be from paypal telling you that they have paid you to much and you need to refund via western union.

Or they tell you they have to use an agent and they send you another paypal payment email saying that they have sent you more so you can pay the agent for them again via western union.

Of course they don't want the boat just the western union payment that you can't get back again.

Be very careful and apart from the fact you have no seller protection for what you are selling be aware that if an email tells you that they have paid, go and check in your paypal account first and if it is not showing in there its a scam. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Oh and to answer your other question all someone needs to pay you is your email address linked to your paypal account.

They cannot get into your paypal account with that as they won't know your password.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Labrador
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your replies.

I am aware of the over-payment scam and would not fall for that.  I am also not concerned about seller protection.  My sole concern is what damage, if any, could be done by me disclosing my Paypal account information to a person who says they want to buy from me.  I am sure this person is a scam artist, but I'm curious as to how this scam works.  It seems quite innocent- I want to buy from you so give me your Paypal details so I can transfer funds.  

Many thanks again

Graham

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I think you need to be worried about seller protection.

If the so called buyer did a chargeback and you had no seller protection you would lose your money.

But as for the info they need to send you money its just your email address and if you think how many people know our email addresses then if that was risky all our paypal accounts would be at risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.