SCAM VEHICLE OR CAR BUYER

cruisingal2
Contributor
Contributor

I just listed a vehicle for sale on autotrader. Right away, the scammer(s) came out of the woodwork. They tend to jump on these things first as they 'troll' for new listings.

I put in one key phrase from his email and came up with an identical match of his entire email with the exception of the excuse scenario as to why he couldn't buy the vehicle himself in person.   Here it is and I hope this helps others out there as I read some of the other posts here from people who knew or unfortunately learned the hard way:

His email: (notice he didn't say open his email with my name or end with his name, btw his first email to me was very polite and used the word kindly which is usually associated with respect)
Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen, Germany and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:
Thanks
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cruisingal2

Yep scam, all over the internet and all over this forum.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Even when not a scam, accepting PayPal payment for vehicle purchase is very high risk as there is no seller protection. 

Cash is the only safe way to sell a vehicle to a stranger.

Login to Me Too

cruisingal2
Contributor
Contributor

I agree.... My brother was an investigator and worked in fraud part of his career. I will not show anything at my home, it will have to be in a public place and cash, or at the police station.   Oh, and I don't know what the word "Hurry" means when it comes to buying/selling a car.............  This is the second one I am selling and I got a "real winner" on the first one... wanted to meet that  night and get on the road with my vehicle.... No thanks!  If you wait, you will sell it to someone who REALLY wants to buy it. I waited, and it was the perfect deal!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.