Paypal review of unauthorized payment results in fees to seller

pizzabass
Contributor
Contributor

Just as it says.  I have been an eBay seller for years so this is nothing new to me, well beyond the requirements to avoid having payments be held against myself.  However at this point in time, the payment that was held had been deemed to be put under review of being a possible fraudulent transaction according to eBay and Paypal.  Because of this, as soon as the buyer paid the money was held for "review".  To be specific, the transaction stated, "The funds are not available while this transaction is being reviewed."  eBay also told me not to ship the item until the review was complete.

The review took more than 2 weeks and never completed so I called eBay and Paypal to make contact regarding the matter and was instructed to just wait until the review was over.  My Buyer instead filed for a chargeback via his credit card company and was tired of waiting.  I took note that as soon as he filed for the chargeback the "funds are not available while this transaction is being reviewed" had been changed to read "the funds that were placed on temporary hold have been reversed."  That was for the transaction date that it originally happened so they modified or edited that part which to me is misleading to anyone viewing the case and erroneous as it no longer accounts for the original purpose or intent.  Then there was a newer update with the date of the chargeback stating, "the funds are not available while this transaction is being reviewed."  This to me, seems shady because it makes it seem as though I had access to the funds and was able to ship it.  I'm aware of the hold process, this isn't how things work and I know that when a hold is reversed you have the money in your balance.  I NEVER had that.  Not once since the man paid.  All it read was that the transaction was under review and was told that it was due to it possibly being fraudulent.

So the chargeback was filed and accepted today.  That doesn't bother me.  What bothers me is that now I have a $20 fee for the chargeback of money that I never even had the opportunity to touch, was instructed not to worry about and had been instructed not to ship out the item of which that money had been intended for.  I see myself at no fault yet here I am with a chargeback and some shady stuff.  Then I look in my email and I have one from eBay stating that the transaction was deemed to have been fraudulent and the listing was removed.  So now, the listing isn't even on eBay anymore.  The item # is 380475104095.  Feel free to check.  I very well understand that with how the information stands in my account, it now appears that I simply never shipped it according to Paypal and then to eBay that the buyer was committing fraud.  None of it makes sense at all in any case with two different statements and then to top it off all of the changes of information as the time went on.

This is very shady.  I want to talk to someone at Paypal that can do something about it.  I know if I call the # that directs me to the general CS lines I will be stonewalled or simply told, "oh, well I see here this is how it went." then have it all re-iterated.  Someone updated this stuff and I took screen shots of the page before and after the update.  I have proof that the original hold had been tampered to read as though everything was reversed immediately. 

Please somebody, help me out!  This is NOT how you do business with anybody.  I do not appreciate evasion, I want to talk to somebody asap that has the authority to resolve this and look into my claims regarding the updated status for the transaction as well as the authority to issue me a refund.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

pizzabass
Contributor
Contributor

Spoke to Paypal, was escalated to actual Paypal staff located in the US.  They attempted to tell me it was my fault.  I made them actually look into it and stated I had dated screenshots and logged email inquiries.  Within a minute I was told I was going to be credited and that was all there was to it.  I asked if someone had screwed up, they said the history of the transaction was not a factor and that I will be credited then said good bye and have a good day to cut me off and instead of actually hanging up they put me on hold with no background music or anything.  Just silence.  I waited 5 minutes and then eventually the call was ended, not by me.  Either way, it was resolved, just reporting things.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.