Paypal buyer return policy question

mrjimbov
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a watercraft (jetski) engine for $300 plus $80 shipping on Craigslist and the buyer paid by Paypal. 2 weeks after he got the engine the buyer opened a dispute with Paypal because he said he had to spend $100 to have the carburetor rebuilt and wanted me to re-emburse him the $100. I offered to refund the $380 if he send the engine back. He replied that he wanted the $380 + the $100 he spent to rebuild the carb + the $80 to ship the engine back = $560. When I refused, he escalated it to a claim. In the claim options I was able to agree to refund the $380 if he returned the engine. He has contacted me by phone (text message) and said he has 180 days to return the engine so he will use it this summer and return it at the end of the summer.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Eliot
Contributor
Contributor

He misunderstands PP policies. He had 180 days to open a dispute, but he's already done that. Now he is bound by the time limits of the claim. If I were you, I would call PayPal about this case to get the PP policy particulars. https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/resolve-disputes

@mrjimbov wrote:

I sold a watercraft (jetski) engine for $300 plus $80 shipping on Craigslist and the buyer paid by Paypal. 2 weeks after he got the engine the buyer opened a dispute with Paypal because he said he had to spend $100 to have the carburetor rebuilt and wanted me to re-emburse him the $100. I offered to refund the $380 if he send the engine back. He replied that he wanted the $380 + the $100 he spent to rebuild the carb + the $80 to ship the engine back = $560. When I refused, he escalated it to a claim. In the claim options I was able to agree to refund the $380 if he returned the engine. He has contacted me by phone (text message) and said he has 180 days to return the engine so he will use it this summer and return it at the end of the summer.

Login to Me Too

mrjimbov
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.