Buyer is lying but Paypal is no help

mrjimbov
Contributor
Contributor

I had a watercraft engine for sale for $350. Francisco Cosme contacted me and made a offer of $200 for my engine staing that he did not need the extras that I was including like, the carburetor, exhaust, and starter. I explained to him that it was a package deal and I was not willing to sell the engine without those parts. He agreed to purchase the complete engine package for $300 plus $80 for shipping.

After receiving the engine Francisco Cosme filed a dispute through Paypal stating that he would like a $100 refund because the carburetor need rebuilt. A carburetor rebuild kit is only $16.50 (see eBat item number: 251224490259).

I have contacted Francisco Cosme by phone and offered him the option of returning the engine for a refund and he stated he will not return the engine.

In the Dispute Resolution, Paypal does NOT give me the option of requiring the item be returned and I have been warrned by several people that Paypal only gives Buyer's protection but does not offer any kind of Seller protection.

I have spoke to my local police and they said Francisco Cosme is commiting fraud by deception. They said after Paypal issues him a refund I can file charges against him but it will up to the prosecutors office if charges are pursued.

I have tried to contact Paypal  to see how to make a counter offer throough them for the buyer to return the engine but I keep getting a Auto-Response that my e-mail has not been confirmed & they cannot help me. I've had the same e-mail that Paypal has always contected me through for over 10 years

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Has the dispute been escalated to a claim yet?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mrjimbov
Contributor
Contributor

No, it has not benn escalated to a claim yet. I have been messaging back & forth with the buyer through the paypal dipute and I posted on there that I would refund his money & pay shipping if he returns the engine. He posted back that he has paid a mechanic to rebuild the carburetors and he wants $530 if he sends the engine back. Should I escalated it to a claim?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

OK then that is why you have not been given much info from paypal, they do not get involved until it has been escalated to a claim.

But once the buyer has escalated then "normally" paypal will tell him to return the item back to you before he gets his refund.

if the buyer does not escalate the dispute to a claim then it will time out at 20 days and be closed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mrjimbov
Contributor
Contributor

I've done some reading on other sites & posts and it seems that as long as the seller offers some sort of refund the buyer will usually have to accept the amount the seller offers or the buyer will lose the the dispute. I'm considering offering him the $16.50 for a rebuild kit. Wise move on my part? Or am I admitting that he is right and there was something wrong with the engine when I know there was nothing wrong with the engine or carb

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

reading on other sites & posts and it seems that as long as the seller offers some sort of refund the buyer will usually have to accept the amount the seller offers or the buyer will lose the the dispute

Really? Well if you want to believe that there is not a lot else i can advise you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mrjimbov
Contributor
Contributor

Buyer escalated it to a claim through Paypal. That gave me the option of offereing to re-emburse him the $380 if he returns the item. He has contacted me by phone and informed me that Paypal says he has 180 days to return the engine so he plans to use it for the summer and return it in 180 days

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

He certainly does not have 180 days, that is the time that is given to "open" a dispute.

If he does not return it within a couple of weeks the dispute will be closed in your favour. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mrjimbov
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't think he had that long but I couldn't find anything that said for sure how long he had to return it. Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.