Organizing a group order questions

iheartnjdevils
Contributor
Contributor
There is a company in the UK that sells 2-3 limited edition, limited batch items a day Mon- Fri. Many days, they sell out within hours and occasionally, within 10 minutes. So to snag these items, you typically need to wake up 3am EST to purchase. Shipping is about $13 USD which is expensive enough if you order one item a week but often, many buyers want items on 2 or more. Since the items themselves only cost anywhere from $5-25, paying the shipping for each order gets expensive. The retailer is also unable to combine orders from multiple days. If you wait for both of your items to be available, there's a huge chance the one released earlier in the week will be sold out. This is where group ordering comes in...Someone collects the orders, calculates, divides the shipping costs based on item weight (since 3 items alone can drive shipping costs much higher), invoices and collects the funds from everyone and makes the daily purchases. Once the item is received, the seller sends the items to the individual buyers. Since the person who typically organizes this week's order will be on vacation, I had volunteered in her place. When I spoke to her about some tips, she asked if I was an active seller using PayPal. I've sold maybe a handful of times in the 16 years I've had my PayPal account but haven't in a very long time and use it just to buy. Now I am finding out about PayPal's lovely policy of holding funds for 21 days or until the buyer confirms receiving their goods. While I could certainly front the money for a week, it's just not in my budget to front the money for 21 days. I see that the holding doesn't apply to all accounts, such as accounts in good standing but am wondering if it applies to non-merchants as well. Otherwise, what are my other options? I do not know the others that will be ordering personally, but we are a tight online community. That being said, I don't feel comfortable asking them to send as a "gift" and forfeiting some sort of protection. I emailed PayPal earlier this morning but only received a completely irrelevant canned response. I did as instructed and replied stating my question had not been answered. I'm afraid because of the holiday weekend, I won't hear back in time as I need the payments by Sunday night so no one backs out last minute and get stuck with their part of the shipping costs. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Just curious,what do you get out of this -good Samaritan?or a commish for stepping in with your Paypal account.

You learn a lesson,you are under this 21 day curse,either ask to use her Paypal account or no deal,drop out !

Login to Me Too

iheartnjdevils
Contributor
Contributor
There are about 4 or 5 of us that order. I don't believe the main organizer takes a cut but I certainty wouldn't be. I want items from several days so I would be saving money on shipping as well. I haven't begun collecting money for this exact issue and won't be unless I can figure out a way to do this without having everyone's contributions put on hold for more than 7 days without them forfeiting any sort of protection.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Still trying to make head or tails of the bit before, "This is where group ordering comes in..."

The UK seller can't do this, that.  People in charge of the situation happens to go on vacation. I be like, whatever and move on with life.  lol. Anything where someone goes on vay-cay, forgettaboutit.

I think you need to back out of volunteering if you can't hack it money-wise in regards to the hold and you need to money to make the purchase from the UK seller.

Oh and the hold applies to everyone and anyone I would imagine.  If activity algorithm flags it, then it will flag to withhold but do you want to take that chance? See?  Iffy for me if I can't front that kind of money.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.