I was scammed by buyer of 536 €

filiphradil
Contributor
Contributor

Hello community and PayPal,

two months ago I've sold wedding dress on my website. Customer was a man, what is no usual, but I said ok. He was confusing about his wedding day and dress size. At first he wanted the dress in 2 days, after explaining that it is not possible, he told his wedding is in 14 days. I again explained that making time is about 5 weeks and he said okay.

Payment was via credit card, not PayPal account.

After 4 weeks he called me and asked if i can deliver dress in 3 days. I agreed, I paid extra TNT delivery for him, because by another service I couldn't guarantee him to deliver it in time.

A Day after he got the package, he opened case - chargeback. I tried to call him, found out what happend, I wrote him emails and I wanted to offer him returning item, but he ignored.

I provided those documents to PayPal:

- his order

- emails with him about his wedding day

- tnt tracking number

- tnt signature from delivery

And guess what... I lost this case.

How it could even happend? All evidence was against him, but he won.

Thank you for your comments

Filip

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What was the reason for the chargeback?  That's important as you should understand the real cause so you know better how to respond.

Where are you located?

What was the destination?

Did you provide the TNT shipping number to the PayPal transaction record detail at time of shipment?

Did you comply with ALL of PayPal policies for seller protection?

Login to Me Too

filiphradil
Contributor
Contributor

Chargeback reason is unauthorized payment.

I am located in Czech Republic.

Item was sent to Malta.

No I didn't. I gave them this number immediately after opening case. But to buyer I sent it immediately after shipment.

Noo, they said that:

This transaction was not marked as eligible for Seller Protection

I think it is because buyer don't have PayPal account, he just paid by credit card.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Even though the buyer paid with credit card, it was processed through PayPal.

You should go back an look at the original PayPal transaction detail page; it should tell you there if was OK to ship and if it qualified for seller protection.

Without seller protection, you have no options for recovery.

In future, make sure your understand PayPal seller protection policies and make sure your read and understand the details of the transaction record.

Login to Me Too

filiphradil
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for helping me. I means lot for me.

I just called PayPal and asked why it is not eligible. They asked me what kind of goods I sell and then they tell me that is because item is customized, but in a fact, it isn't. 

I explored all my transaction, and almost all of them are eligible, except those, which are paid by credit card without registered account.

Could it help me somehow?

Filip

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What was the description of the item?  If you want suggestions for users, you'll need to disclose iinformation about what your sold and where it was advertised.

Login to Me Too

filiphradil
Contributor
Contributor

It's a wedding dress.

On transtaction page there is:

Dress 905: White 36 (S)
Item #: m905_38_46

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I've been reading so my different topics on the forum, I forgot your original post about the wedding dress which you had to make to order; this would be a customized item.

PayPal does not provide seller protection for custom made items.

If you sold read-made items, it would have been different.

Login to Me Too

filiphradil
Contributor
Contributor

So I will lost my money just because I sell dresses?

What does it mean? What if I sell dresses from catalogue, what aren't customize, but they are made upon order.

And last thing, how it could affect the chargeback? Problem isn't in dress but in "unauthorized payment".

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You need to look at the details of the transaction, the page that has the details.  It will indicate whether or not you have seller protection.  What is on your detail page for this item.  It is a critical piece of information which you haven't provided.

I looked at PayPal seller protection policies and I didn't find a reference to to custom or made to order; I thought custom was not protected, but I can't find the reference.

Your item was made to order; it wasn't ready to ship "off the rack".  That may be the issue.  If you were able to ship in 2 or 3 days, it wold signal NOT custom made.  Your web site should show items ready to ship; I suspect your web site indicates that the dresses are custom made (you haven't disclosed that information either).

Unauthorized charges disputed by the credit card holder are rare.  There are certain risks of online sales that you can't avoid and you just need to build those risks into your profit model.  International sales are also risky.

If you had seller protection, PayPal would have reimbursed you for the chargeback.

Again, check out the details page for seller protection information.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.