Do i really need to provide my ssn?

Soccer4life113
Contributor
Contributor

in order to trandfer money it says i need to provide proof of my ssn. i dont feel very safe giving out my ssn with the chance of hacking. just wondering if i dont give my ssn will i not be able to use paypal? because if not paypal isnt that important 😕

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

here-be-ninjas
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Though, before you do, make sure you're using the actual Paypal site and not a link from an email or something.

From what I understand, they need your SSN for credit report/IRS stuff.

Login to Me Too

Soccer4life113
Contributor
Contributor

isnt it unsafe to give out my ssn? i heard paypal got hacked before and id be too afraid to get my identity stolen 😕 would i just scan my social security card and then upload it to my computer and send it to paypal?

Login to Me Too

here-be-ninjas
Contributor
Contributor

I would think emailing a photocopy of your SS card would be way more risky than entering text on the site itself. It's been a while since I signed up with PayPal, but I think you may have the option to link your account with a credit or debit card instead, though they might've changed this since I signed up. Sorry, that's about all I know. 😕

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.