Craigslist Scam - Paypal? What do you think? BEWARE!

Ranji
New Community Member

Hi

I just posted a vehicle on craigs list for $13K.  15 minutes later I received a text seems to be from another state.   He seems to be more interested in the transaction and more concerned about payments.  First of all, no mentioning or questioning on details of the car.  He says he can't call me only email.  So why did he text me instead of using the craiglist email to contact me in first place?  Why is he concerned about if I have paypal or not? see conversation below.

His Text:

"2008 Subaru Tribeca   Is still have it for sale? if yes kindly email me back at my email (David ###(him) ) because we are not allow to do phone call only email at the Military Base. Thanks"

So I emailed the guy back and forth shown below:

me:  

"Yes I still have this car for sale.  Just posted today.   Just let me know when you want to see it or have any further questions. "

David ###(him) 

"Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it is in good state and that i  will not be disappointed with it. I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, but the issue is I'm a Marine Officer and I'm not in my own state now I'm now  in Mountain Warfare Training Center and  use of mobile phone is not allow at the Mountain Warfare . But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this  transaction to be done via PayPal."

me:

"1.  Engine:  Mechanical is solid.  No issues whatsoever.  I take very good car of the vehicle.

2.  Suspension:  Solid!   no issues or nothing to be replaced
2.  Body:  couple of  door dings here and there, only noticeable when looking at it close.  the passenger rear bumper has faded scuff marks on it.  Someone scraped it in the parking lot at work and I had it repainted. the body shop didn't do a good job buffing it.  I just noticed it 6 months after it was painted because its hard to see when no light shining on it.

. -  I'm still making payments on this to  my local bank,  the transaction payment would have to be done in person at my bank so they can hand you the Title in person.  I do not have paypal or cannot accept any electronic transactions.
- I'm selling it because we bought a mini-van for growing family."

David ###(him) 
"why, do you have a problem with paypal before?"

me: (Playing dumb suspecting this is a scam)
What do I need to do to get paypal?

David ###(him) 
"This is how paypal works. Paypal is very easy and only online secure payment that protect both buyers and sellers,Just sign up with them here www.paypal.com and get back to me with the email address used and full name and the total cost in Dollars,so i can transfer the fund to it, After  the payment have been made then you will receive Notification and Confirmation from paypal that have made the payment into your account through your email address you used, and you will have to follow their steps giving to you in the confirmation email sent to you, So when the money is in your account you can use your credit card to cash it out or go to any bank around you then can cash it out for you. Thanks and hope to hear back from you"

me: (Playing dumb again)
Ok I will sign up now.  How are you going to get the car?  Is there a relative that can pick up the car?

David ###(him) 
Well i do have a private pickup company that will come for the inspection and also for the pickup after the payment clear by paypal, hope you understand me now?

******so I stop emailing him***
So why is the buyer so detailed into helping me with my papal account.  No questions about the car or nothing. No best offer or nothing.  Way to suspicios for me. 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Ranji

"So why is the buyer so detailed into helping me with my papal account.  No questions about the car or nothing. No best offer or nothing.  Way to suspicios for me. "

Some of the reasons being they will send u fake emails supposedly from ppal telling u they have sent payment

They have sent more money than u requested so u can pay their mover/shipper

To make the payment to probably western union and once u make the payment more fake emails etc etc etc

Type scams in the box and read how they operate

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Car Scam.

Be VERY careful selling cars/large items if the buyer is keen to use paypal and states they are working abroad or sending to a friend etc and need a shipping agent to pick it up..

You then get a FAKE paypal email saying you have been paid extra so you can pay the shipping agent for them via western union and the payment is released to you after you have done that.

It is a scam to get that western union payment, they don't want your car and the shipping agent is just a scam to get that payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

oscodapete
Contributor
Contributor

If he is truly a U.S. Marine officer, he sure has a bad command of sentence structure and proper word usage. I would ask him the name of the pickup company and check them out. It doesn't sound kosher.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Of course its not kosher ITS A COMMON SCAM.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MCRMonroeville
New Community Member

I just had the same exact thing happen to me with a dirtbike I was trying to sell. Same wording and everything. Scary...

So what did you do, just delete the messages and forget that it ever happened?

Login to Me Too

lady2pac
Contributor
Contributor

To set your expectation, guys, there are tons of scammers @CraigsList 

Just keep in mind that as a seller, you're the one whose expected to receive the payment for the item that your selling, NOT the other way around.

Always remember to manage your account through PayPal.com and not just with the emails you receive

We urge you guys to always contact us if you have any questions about your PayPal account.

Here are some few pointers to help you out:

PayPal will never ask you for money nor send money or anything through 3rd party payment providers like Western Union, MoneyGram, etc.

PayPal will never ask you to send the tracking number for an item that hasn’t been paid for yet.

If you’re not sure whether you’ve been paid for an item, check your transaction history by logging directly to your PayPal account.

• When you receive payment for your item, you will see the money in your account and/or the transaction right away

• If you’ve already shipped the merchandise, contact the shipping company as soon as possible to stop the shipment. If they’re unable to stop the shipment, consider filing a police report regarding possible fraud.
  • If you haven’t already shipped the merchandise, don’t ship it.

If you suspect that an email is fake, don’t open it. Don’t reply to the email, don’t click any links, don’t enter any financial/personal information or download any attachments.

Please forward the suspicious email to us. Here’s how to send us suspicious emails:

• Don’t change the subject line.
  • Forward the entire email to spoof@paypal.com. Don’t forward the message as an attachment.
  • Delete the email from your inbox.

We review this information carefully. We can usually let you know the results of our review within 3 business days

• As you can see people can try to get away with fraud and we do everything we can to keep you safe. Rest assured that by keeping and using your PayPal account you will be able to transact safely and securely online.
  • Definitely forward any suspicious emails or websites to spoof@paypal.com.

If Scammed:

You may wanna file a report with you local police depart or file a complaint with the Internet Crime Center (IC3)

The IC3 is a patnership between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center. It investigates and refers complaints to law enforcement agencies that have the jurisdiction in the matter.

To file a complaint, go to http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.