Am I protected?

berryblu
Contributor
Contributor

A family bought a purebred puppy from me back in December (deposit Paypal & final Payment in January). They took him home and I had not heard a word from them until yesterday, more than 4 months later. They were demanding to return him and trade for a new puppy because he has bad behaviors (messed up their carpet) and did not bond to a specific child. Obviously training of a puppy is the new owner's duty as a responsible owner. They want me to take him in equal trade. I offered to help find him a home and whatever comes from that adotpion will be theirs to apply to a new puppy but again, there is no guarantee how the next one will behave if they are not trained and socialized. They are saying they will charge back on Paypal. Can someone charge back for something they decide they no longer want four months later?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Yes, up to 6 months, and even win the refund since there is no PayPal seller protection for animals generally.  Also the buyer can claim non-delivery and you will not to show shipping/tracking with delivery confirmation.

Its probably best to work on a settlement with the buyer that will be less costly than a forced refund through PayPal.  You just need to accept that there will be a cost involved for your business and you want to select the least costly option.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Yes, up to 6 months, and even win the refund since there is no PayPal seller protection for animals generally.  Also the buyer can claim non-delivery and you will not to show shipping/tracking with delivery confirmation.

Its probably best to work on a settlement with the buyer that will be less costly than a forced refund through PayPal.  You just need to accept that there will be a cost involved for your business and you want to select the least costly option.

Login to Me Too

berryblu
Contributor
Contributor

Very sad. I'm not a business. The puppy was from a litter my friend's dog had and since I happened to know the family who wanted him and they felt comfortable with me, they sent me the Paypal funds and I paid my friend on their behalf. They went directly to her house and picked up the puppy so I didn't even transfer him. They paid and they received it and to return it now it will take a long time to find a family who will take a 7 month old puppy who has not been properly trained. He is healthy, no genetic issues. They did not train him properly. I don't know how Paypal can do that to someone who uses ther service and make me take a risk that cash doesn't require just because it was more convenient for the buyer. Done with Paypal.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The only safe payment for local pickup is CASH.  There is no reason to use PayPal online for a local payment when cash should be used.  Many scammers use PayPal for local pickup so they can get a refund for non-recorded delivery.

Login to Me Too

berryblu
Contributor
Contributor

So if they want to make a deposit and are farther away, is it safer to h ave them mail a check than let them do it via Paypal?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

A check is better, however, a person can still do a stop payment on a check weeks after it is cashed.

A wrtting legal contract is the best option so you have a legal recourse in case of non-payment; the legal contract should also protect the buyer in case of a problem.

Login to Me Too

berryblu
Contributor
Contributor

Does that apply to funds through Friends and Family? That was how they sent it to me. Again, I am not a business. I was connecting a friend with someone else who was looking for a puppy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.