Seller refunded payment then sent Invoice to pay for it, please advice

paata01
Contributor
Contributor

Need advice, I paid for the TV (which seems to good to be true thing) at least 400$ below market price, I bougth from ecrater.com, seller with zero feedback, but as long as I was doing Paypal I feel safe, then he contacted me and said there was a problem with ecrater, and people buy mulitple times and pay only once and ecrater does not remove stock or something and send me an invoice, invoice description still says TV model condition and so on, I called PP and they said I am still protected and I paid for an invoice, Is there any tricks scammers can do with invoices, or what should I do, I will probably check tv first if he sends it at all, for condition and than sign for it. 

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@paata01

If you receive it and it is not as described then you have to prove that before you get a refund.

So its best as paypal won't have an online auction to view to get the seller to put as much info in the invoice as possible before you pay.

But as you have already paid then yes check the item over thoroughly before you sign for it and you should be ok.

In future always fund your paypal payments via a credit card so that you have some extra back up.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

paata01
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for replying, here is what invoice says "Brand New Samsung UN65KS8500 Curved 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model)" Which probably explains every point paypal may be interested it, whatever I paid is really low compared to online prices and I am concerned because of that, he said to he will process order withing 7 days, so I guess I should just wait at this point, will carrier let me open it before signing papers and check it, 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@paata01

No idea how the carriers work in your country, sorry.

But if you can just open it enough to make sure its the correct tv in there and if not ask the carrier to witness and take photos.

It always worries me when things are supposed to be a ''bargain'' and the seller offers to do an off auction sale.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

paata01
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, same here, when it looks to good to be true, as usual I am not in, but as long as it was PP transaction and felt safe I proceeded also asked PP, and they said it should be fine. Fingers crosses deal is real 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You paid for an item on eCrater and seller refunded because there was a problem with eCrater.  Now the seller sends a PayPal invoice for payment.   I see serious problems.

First, you concluded that the item on eCrater was $400 below market price.  I would be suspicious of this.  It doesn't make sense for a seller to refund and then invoice for the same item.

Second, PayPal will NOT protect you against poor judgement.

Third, you should not feel safe just because you pay though PayPal.  PayPal doesn't make a transaction safe; PayPal provides a very narrow scope of buyer protection.  You should review PayPal policies carefully.

As for an invoice, it should contain a picture of the item, all details about the item, model number, serial number, method of delivery, and cost details.  If you need to open a case as not at descirbed, you need details.

Your explanation just leaves too many questions about delivery, price, and product.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DPCreations

He does have paypal buyer protection for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described as he paid by an invoice and paypal have confirmed the same.

Agreed that the invoice should contain more info but most times paypal find for the buyer but ask them to return the item at their own expense first.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@kernowlass

Yes, I know protection is for item not received, but the problem is for not-as-described as that is much more difficult to prove or disprove, that's why details matter.  Returning is then another issue.

For item not received is the easy part with PayPal, no matter the method.

It still seems suspicious and that the buyer is looking to PayPal for guaranteed protection and a way to justify the purchase of an item at a price too good to be true.  PayPal can't protect against poor buyer judgment.

Login to Me Too

paata01
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's what I read, I am not new to PP, and as usual avoid such transactions, but as long as he ships it, I will have a chance to open it turn it on and so on, I ordered to my office location where carrier can unload first, I can check it for defects, I think as long as I do not sign Paypal will refund, invoice description should be enough as it says model number condition brand and so on. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I think you are too confident of PayPal protection.

Once you open it, it is YOURS.  You can't automatically send it back.

It's easy for a scammer to put  model number plate on a fake item.  That's why a picture is critical.  That's why a serial nubmer for that item is important, and include the manufacturer date.  Pictures of those items could be made part of the invoice before you pay.

If it is not what you expect you will need to file a dispute for not as describe and you will need to prove to PayPal that your word is valid and the seller was lying.  If PayPal rules in your favor you will also need to pay for return shipping with tracking to show it delivered back to the seller.  The seller could then claim that you returnedf the wrong item.  Pictures are so important here.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.