Account Negative due to Unauthorized use, what to do?

xoriolesx
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

About two weeks ago my paypal account was compromised and the individual who gained access to it sent himself 1,800 pounds, equal to $2,885.32.  I immediately called paypal to try and resole the issue and I also disputed the charges through the website.  Paypal concluded their investigation and somehow deemed the charges were not unauthorized... what am I to do?  I don't have $2,885.32 to begin with, and I presume the thief lives in Europe as the currency is in pounds, and I live in the US.  Any advice on what I should do?  I've called paypal and they told me to send an email to claimappeal.  I did, and all I get in return from them is automated informatin about what an unauthorized transaction is and how to report it.

I reply to their emails again, and they send me the same automated information.  I don't have $3,000, and if I did why would I want to pay a thief?  I know it's partially my fault for my account getting compromised, but that's in the past and what can I do now to fight this issue?  I submitted information to www.ic3.gov, but who knows what they'll conduct and how long it will take.  I obviously don't want to pay this amount and want to take some sort of action or appeal to the false verdict.

Thanks for reading, and any input/advice is very much needed.  It's a rather dire situation.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Xelyore
Contributor
Contributor

You can imagine PayPal's situation on a comprimised account. It is different than a scam as it can be faked per say.

Let me explain

Say you had a friend in europe or even a VPN etc and created a new paypal account there. You attempt faking a account breach by changing email/password and stuff and then send money to that other account. That other account then has money from you.

You then go to PayPal and say you were hacked and money was sent out. If it were the way everyone dreams of they would pay you your money back and sort the issue

But on the other account you send the money elsewhere. Suddenly you doubled your money, PayPal loses money and nobody has a clue

Its a difficult situation. 

Login to Me Too

xoriolesx
Contributor
Contributor

Right, yea I totally understand how it's a pretty difficult situation on paypals end as well.  Given that paypal's investigation didn't rule in my favor, what is there I can do from here?  There has to be an avenue where I can either appeal the verdict, or take it up with someone somewhere.  I've just no experience with anything of this sort before, and I obviously want to explore and use any outlet possible to not fork over money I don't have.  I'm not very familiar with any legal or other type of action I can take in a situation like this, if any at all.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.