Why won't PayPal credit work?

Tarawa
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using Bill me later for years and I had to link my account to a PayPal account to use it on various sites. I've done that and the account shows in my PayPal summary page and it's listed as the default payment but when I try to use it as a payment method I get this

Return to merchant and try a different payment method

We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the merchant's website and try using a different payment method (if available).

Why? This is happening on all sites I try to pay with PayPal credit. Best Buy, Walmart, Ebay...

Login to Me Too
44 REPLIES 44

Osinger
Contributor
Contributor
Honey, side by side my financial situation all around is better which is why I want to help. I'm a retired loan officer and did credit analysis for 20 years. Your terminology is good and it's obvious it does not come down to a simple number. But, if some items are not to be purchased because of my profile, that should be stated up front just like I was up front with my personal information.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I don't think any purchase is restricted by your profile, whatever you consider to be your PayPal profile.  Financial situation, yes, but not profile.

Purchases can be retricted based on PayPal's analysis of the risk involved in certain types of purchases.

As a past loan officer I don't think you would want a customer to use an open loan for a product likely to fail or be a risky financial option.  You woldn't have the authority to stop it but it could put the loan a higher risk.  Thise is where loans will be diffrent:; thiere is a lenghthy contract which spells out exactely what will happen if the customer fails to pay.  The bank has a lot more legal options for recover than does PayPal Credit; the bank may also have higher reserves for bad loans.  My guess is that PayPal would rather keep risk down and restrict use instead of bulding up a non-profitable loss reserve.  It's PayPal's way of managing risk to prevent loss rather than plan to cover loss.

Besides, PayPal Credit isn't a blanket loan like an Equity Loan, but rather a restricted loan fund, so to speak.

Login to Me Too

Osinger
Contributor
Contributor
I'm quiet aware of what credit it is and you nailed one area. However, you would not pre-approve a high risk customer. As to a high risk item not even approving a $2.00 item (which I've attempted) is arbitrary and proof that their algorithms are not accurate.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal Credit promotions is specifically for items over $99, I believe.  Intangble items would be in the high risk area.

A difference betwen bank loans and PayPal Credit is that "approved" has different meanings; with PayPal it seems to be a conditional appoval always subject to review.  Bank  "approved" has a contract with all the details.

For my own few large purchases I've never been declined PayPal Credit; I never even applied for it as it just popped up as an option in the Bill Me Later days.

Login to Me Too

Osinger
Contributor
Contributor
I'm actually beginning to think it's a PayPal account issue vs a PayPal credit issue. I thought to order something for me as that couldn't be high risk. A Le creuset skillet to match my pots $200 vs the $400 for the kids system. I had no idea the deals they had! Unfortunately, now it won't even allow PayPal as an option (even though it is listed and had my grand make sure I clicked right). Oh well, an excuse to have the boys take me to Williams & Sonoma. I'm giving up and going to bed for tonightt. I will say they have gotten back to me rather quickly, automated for the most part but it's something. Maybe I'll give it a few, retirement and social is good but, with a fixed income I would like to take advantage of the payment deals as the promotion states. Thank you for your suggestions. If any ideas come to mind on how to resolve this it's much appreciated. Good night.
Login to Me Too

SoftoAndoWetto
New Community Member

Hate to necropost but I'm just about sick and tired of this happening. I've made ALL my payments early and don't have another payment due til May 05. But now every single merchant/website/method I've tried using in the last two weeks (Steam, G2A, Ebay, 'Send Money', Walmart) has not given me my Paypal Credit balance as an option, no matter how much the transaction is. Why should I bother paying what I owe if I can't even use it anymore? This is absurd. No wonder Paypal Credit has 1 star.

Login to Me Too

Osinger
Contributor
Contributor
I hate to hear you're in the same situation. I took my credit reports to my mortgage banker and showed him all the correspondence and requests for an excessive amount of information after having been approved. DL, Bankong confirmation, current bill, in addition to what they already have which is my DOB, social, and last 2 addresses. They now want my most recent bank statement and a passport (I don't have a passport) and asked for an alternative, told them I could provide -my birth certificate -credit card bills -library card -marriage certificate Although I truly feel enough is enough. I emailed my mortgage banker all the correspondence betweeen PayPal as well as my credit reports I pulled 2 days ago. I wanted him to see as I was worried I missed something since I've never had this issue. He advised me to take the following action: --file a complaint with the BBB - the Texas Department of Banking (would imagine there is similiar in any state -the FDIC - the OCC. I've done the BBB and have yet to get a response so I reached out once more to WF and requested a resolution. Nothing. I've done everything right, paid on time, etc..... In addition - closing the account isn't an option as I have paypal credit WHICH I CANT USE for a crazy reason nobody seems to have an explanation to. Don't hit my credit, approve me, then not provide access to it. Just don't a approve me to begin with. Why I think it's a scam.
Login to Me Too

Goldeni4eva
Contributor
Contributor
I'm getting this exact thing I have 1196 or so left to spend on my pay pal credit account and I'm just trying to buy some skyline chili from Walmart for 12.86 w shipping And get declined I've called they said it was thier security **bleep** and not my account they said.my account was good And I should be able to use it but I'm not Ive called enough
Login to Me Too

flex585
Contributor
Contributor

Tbh, you are not really helping if anything you are making it worse. 

Login to Me Too

Lindacooley5
This is my problem to a T....am very disappointed can't even pay my landscaper whom has already completed his work....this pay pal thing is bull****!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.