Terrible experience with PayPal credit

Kathbradfish
Contributor
Contributor
So three weeks ago I decided to try out PayPal Credit as an easy way to keep track of transactions, with an eye on using it for my non-profit. This has been the worst experience of my life. Very few Customer Service Reps go off script "our security is "protecting you" and therefore your purchase was declined (27 times including 20 that they requested I try while they are onthe phone) switch browsers (I did twice) check with your credit card company (made me look stupid as they pointed out if I can use it everywhere else it is obviously a PayPal issue) Check address to make sure they are the same (they are) delete account (did this twice) "Ma'am this works for me, so if you want to say your account isn't providing the survice promised (that it will work?) that is on you" "PayPal decides on a transaction by transaction basis whether you can make the purchase" )HUH??? PayPal decides if I can use my account or not (including on the sites they recommended???). That last one is against the law btw. So here is what I've learned : "Is it accurate to say that PayPal may unpredictably blocklegitimate transactions at any time with no explanation as to why" The answer was "Yes, we block a huge number of transactions every day and it is out policy not to explain why." The problem isn't with credit, your browser. PayPal's system is not broken. This is their POLICY. and it is not for your protection", PayPal is clearly willing to inconvenience youbMOST of the time in order to protect THEMSELVES from the risk. Making this a TERRIBLE product, the question then becomes does it actually violate Consumer Protection Law through its algorithm. I for one want to find out
Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

Kathbradfish
Contributor
Contributor
since it wasn't about rudimentary editing, Im not surprised that you missed it. Go away troll, we are done
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Well., it seems that you are just angry that PayPal Credit doesn't work like you want it to work.  It has been explained many times how PayPal Credit actually works and you won't accept that parameter.

Login to Me Too

nicomatt
Contributor
Contributor

DPCreations:  

After reading this thread, it does appear that you are not understanding, or more likely, actively refusing to understand the legitimate frustration that is being discussed here.  Anyone who has even a passing knowledge of paypal knows that paypal's security protocol can be utterly maddening; this is exacerbated by customer service reps who, while often very nice, seem utterly impotent when it comes to their ability to do anything to solve a problem.  

This is not just a company wanting to be extra safe, as you keep claiming, this is a system that often has no rationale or logic behind it. As the OP eloquently put it, there is something particularly infuriating when both paypal reps (over 10) AND paypal credit reps (at least 10) tell you "your account looks perfect, everything is fantastic, I don't know what the problem is."  Then they tell you that the automated system is not allowing you to make purchases with a credit line you were IN FACT approved for b/c of good credit, with all the perks they advertise come with paypal credit.  

So I'm a customer, I've done everything right, nothing is wrong at all, but you guys can't do anything b/c a computer system says there might be a "risk," even though this "risk" appears to pop up EVERY time I attempt to use paypal credit (or even paypal sometimes)???  

How is sending money to a family member, for example, "risky," when I'm making the choice to use my paypal credit, for which I was approved, with my perfect, verified paypal account?  HOW??

If paypal credit is working for you, that's great, but every single one of your posts is a textbook example of invalidating someone else; and by the way, you're acting mighty flippant about an issue that has been complained about by tens of thousands of paypal users, so it's not like the problem isn't real.

Basically, we have a scary situation in which a computer "program or algorithm" is making decisions that humans (ie paypal employees) are not able to explain, override, change, or even understand.  That's a recipe for eventual disaster, imo.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@nicomatt

Sure, it's frustating; that's understood.

But, it is PayPal's program and reponsibility to do what is in the best interest of PayPal.  That's how businesses work; no explanations required.

As for your rants, they aren't going to change PayPal policies about use of PayPal Credit.

If it doesn't work for your business, then you just find another credit product which does work.

Login to Me Too

temp_02272017b
New Community Member

IMO, the most frustrating issue with Paypal is the reps.  You can speak with ten different reps and you will get ten different answers.  What kind of financial company operates in such a shady manner?  I honestly believe that PP is some sort of scam.  Since I have better things to do with my time than deal with this BS, I literally do not use my PP account or PP Credit anymore.  Life is much less complicated when you do not have to be involved with ignorant people, and deliberate liars.  It took me a long time to realize that in the world of "ulcers, PP is a cause".  

Login to Me Too

TSI

I cannot believe what a jerk this DPCreations is.  

The system has issues. DPcreations doesn't want to hear any of it and has no empathy for customers with complaints. DPCreations makes it sound like this is an Amex Platinum card, and only the priviledged few with 800 credit scores should get it.  It's a random line of credit by a random bank.  That's it. 

Btw, it's not PayPal Credit that is causing these issues. It's PayPal's system.  That is why PayPal Credit shows the account as being fine. I learned this in one of my 10+ calls to them, after hearing Pay Pal agents and PayPal Credit agents actually getting into an argument on a conference call with me.  Seems even they are frustrated with having no answer to give the customers.

So to all of you having the same issues as I am, you are not alone. Your concerns are legit. DPCreations is not a good representative of the PayPal community. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.