New PayPal Chip Card Only Allows Debit Transactions so No More Cash Back Bonus?

FeyMystic
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I've used my old PayPal card at various merchants around town and have always arrowed around the PIN number and used it as credit in order to get the cash back bonus.  I recently got the new PayPal chip card and it no longer allows me to do this.  It forces me to enter my PIN number at the same merchants, Kroger and Target are two, that previously allowed me to use my PayPal card as a credit card.  I tried several times, the clerk tried as well, but nope...the card would not allow it to be read as credit.

As I'm sure everyone knows, if you enter the PIN number, the transaction is not eligible for the cash back bonus.  Is this PayPal's way of getting out of paying the bonus? If so, I'll just transfer the funds to my bank account once a week and cut up the card.

Thanks for any help!

Fey

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I have the same problem last week,but the cashier did something and it went thru.

I think she pushed the tab which said cancel when it asked for pin number

Login to Me Too

FeyMystic
Contributor
Contributor

The cashier at Kroger tried several times to bypass/cancel it as a PIN transaction but it wouldn't work.  I didn't ask the clerk at Target to try it today, it was crazy busy.

Login to Me Too

pinkSugarAK
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing for me at Fred Meyer (Kroger) - they even called a manager over to the register and it was stupid - he asked me for my ID (Like I was trying to use a stolen card) compared the name on my ID to my card, (the terminal never said to Capture the card) - then he proceeded to tell me that Kroger has chosen to Require the PIN.  Walgreens still lets you bypass the PIN as do most gas pumps - I wonder if this is a way to force some people to migrate over to their Paypal Credit Card...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.