Pay pal here reader (stops working after pin from credit card entered)

mscott

Hi,

When i insert a chip credit card into the reader it asks me to enter my pin, i enter it, the orange lights light up, i press the green tick button then all the lights go out on the reader except for the blue bluetooth light. My phone then still displays the notice "please enter your pin on the card reader's keypad" The only way to get out of this is to reset the reader with a paper clip. The phone then says, transaction cancelled would you like a receipt.

I have the white Australian pay pal here reader if this helps. Im very annoyed i spent all day tracking one of these down for a market stall tomorrow and its not working. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

mscott

Ok so i just phoned paypal and i had to go into my bluetooth settings on my phone (turn off bluetooth, unpair and then turn back on and pair again and it worked after that).

Hopefully this is the last time this happens!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for posting the problem and your solution from PayPal.

Even in the U. S. with the black chip card reader there are known issues with reconnecting with an Android device when waking up the Android device and redear both from sleep; the reconnection goes into endless failure to reconnect.   Last time I called it was a known issue with no solution other turn turn off the reader and restart.

Login to Me Too

DoninNV
New Community Member

I use the black reader for show sales.  If you don't have sales every minute or two, it will go to sleep and not reconnect  easily when you need it to do so.

I found the only good workaround is to leave the card reader connected to power all the time. This prevents it from going to sleep so it is instantly available when needed.

If someone uses a non-chip card,  you need to disconnect the charger to use the mag strip reader on top.    Poor design - they should have put the charging port on the side and/or done something about the poor power management on this device.  There is no apparent way to prevent the device from going to sleep, with its attendant wakeup problems, and from what I've read the battery doesn't last long if it's turned on a lot.

I'm fortunate in that I work shows with power available, but if I didn't, I think I'd be keeping it plugged in to an auxiliary power pack.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

On my LG phone the charger port is on the bottom and the speaker jack on top, so no confilct.  It depends on the device design.

I just did a pushed update on my bluetooth chip card reader as required yesterday.  I'll see on Saturday if the awake from sleep problem is fixed.

Login to Me Too

mytake
Contributor
Contributor

Totally agree,  the charging port should of been on the right side of the unit down low as not to interfere with a swiped transaction. I too must leave plugged in as i take rapid fire payments.  I ordered a 90 deg mini usb from amazon that makes it so you can grip the card your running and slide over the charger connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E3HPD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these may help in the meantime.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.