Not able to even apply for a PayPal Debit Card -- WHY?!

AMRogers
New Community Member

I would like to sign up for  a PayPal Debit Card, but every time I try to get to the application, I get this message: 

"Sorry, you're not eligible for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. This may be because you live outside the United States or you've already applied in the last 30 days."

Well, I do live in the US (my address in confirmed) & I have never applied for a card with PayPal before!  😕

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Anthony_Halsted
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Although under slightly different circumstances.

I HAVE had a PayPal Debit Mastercard in the past. But I haven't used my PayPal account for a couple years now. So when I got online I tried to request the card but it told me I had to re-verify my address and other information first. I sent in the required information and am completely re-verified but I get the same message as the guy above when trying to apply.

Does this mean I am going to have to wait a month before requesting the Card again or will I be mailed one within the next couple weeks?

Thanks to anyone in advance for help. 

Login to Me Too

barguy
New Community Member

I have spoken with 'customer service' twice now about this issue.  A few years back I was an active Ebay and Paypal user - and had a business debit card.  I stopped doing ebay until recently and when I went for my card I saw it was expired.  I called to request a new valid card and was told that the error message, "

Sorry, you're not eligible for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. This may be because you live outside the United States or you've already applied in the last 30 days." was a "glich" in the system and they were working to resolve it.  Now a "glitch" that last's two days (at least) doesnt sound like somthing they are activily working on does it?  Sad to say but it is looking like Paypal is making it harder and harder for you to access your funds - a shame really because it used to be a very easy service.

Login to Me Too

shuecrazy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also having the same issue but under different circumstances. It is now 11 days later that Paypal has not resolved this issue. I really like using my Paypal card but issues like this that take almost 2 weeks to resolve makes me like using it a little less. My question is, are they actively trying to resolve it?

Login to Me Too

Anthony_Halsted
Contributor
Contributor

I notice this thread has had over 140 views but no replies from anyone with a solution or an answer. I'm still watching and waiting.

Login to Me Too

mu5tang71
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having the same issue with this not able to apply for a PayPal Debit Card. I contacted them (PayPal) twice and this is there response with no resolution to this issue. Has anyone had this resolved and if so how long did it take?

1st RESPONSE & MESSAGE:

Dear Darrin ######,

Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support. My name is Aaron and I am happy to assist you with your situation.
I am sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing, while trying to apply for our debit card. But after reviewing your account, it appears that your account is being affected by a known issue, which is not allowing customers to apply for a debit card. So I went ahead and added your account to our list, so when it is resolved, we will make contact with you letting you know. You can always continue on logging into your PayPal account on a daily basis, and checking to see if it allows you to apply and that error message you are getting goes away.
I am glad I was able to resolve your issue!
Thank you for being a loyal PayPal customer and have a great day!

Sincerely,
Aaron
PayPal Debit Card Team
PayPal, an eBay Company

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Form Message
customer subject: legacy
customer message: >Topic: 'PayPal Debit Card'
Sub Topic: 'Card Activation'
message: 'How can I apply for a PayPal Debit Card so I can sell items on eBay. When I try to apply for the card it says

(Sorry, you're not eligible for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®.. This may be because you live outside the United States or you've already applied in the last 30 days.)

I have never lived outside the US in my life and don't remember trying to apply in the last 30 days..

Thank you, Darrin'

2nd RESPONSE & MESSAGE:

Dear Darrin Hommel,

Thank you for contacting PayPal Debit Card. My name is Jolene, and I would be happy to respond to your situation regarding the PayPal Debit MasterCard®.
Darrin I am sorry that this has been frustrating. It is a top priority on our side, but it has not been resolved yet. Your account has been escalated and we do hope to have a resolution shortly.
We will keep you posted and please let me know if you need anything else. Have a nice weekend.
Sincerely,
Jolene
PayPal Debit Card Team
PayPal, an eBay Company

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Form Message
customer subject: legacy
customer message: >Topic: 'PayPal Debit Card'
Sub Topic: 'Card Activation'
message: 'I wrote approximately # weeks ago about not being able to apply for a PayPal debit card. Every time I try I get this message:

(Sorry, you're not eligible for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. This may be because you live outside the United States or you've already applied in the last 30 days.)

I have never lived outside the US in my life and I have not applied for a PayPal debit card. I was told that this is a known issue with some accounts not being able to apply and that my account was added to a LIST and was going to fix the problem. But this problem is still exists. I am starting to sell items on eBay and I will not have any access to the funds without this card. Other than a 3-4 day money transfer. I think this is very unprofessional business practice and I will be forced to find a alternative solution if this issue can not be resolved and in a more timely manner. This is a service that you PAYPAL offer and would think some kind of resolution would be priority.

Login to Me Too

sharonemery1
New Community Member

Well, I've been trying since April 3rd to get a debit card and have been getting the same message.  I've called Paypal 4 times and e-mailed them twice.  They never even bothered to respond to my e-mails at all.  Called them back today and demanded to know when the issue would be resolved.  They told me they expected to have it resolved next week.  He told me to try again next Friday.

😞

Needless to say, I am relly POed.  I don't have the time to baby sit a company who can't resolve IT issues.  And this is a major one.  I'm giving them until next Friday, and if I can't get a card by then I'm filing a complaint with the FTC.  I've about had enough.

Login to Me Too

solana
Contributor
Contributor

I've used PayPal and the PayPal debit card for years without any problems. Now my card is about to expire and I haven´t received a replacement. What the heck is going on? Are they seriously removing this service? What good is it then to have a PayPal account if you cannot access your funds? This is very upsetting and I'm considering closing down the account all together.

Login to Me Too

BottomDollar
Contributor
Contributor

OK,

I asked "Sarah."  It doesn't say, specifically whether these are "ands" (i.e. you have to all of them) or "ors" (i.e. you can do any one of them) but, it's probably the case that you have to do all of them.  (I have all of the reqts. except the Premier/Biz account and I haven't rec'd $500). 

This is what "she" said:

"To qualify for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®, you'll need to:
* Have a Premier or Business account in the U.S. or have received at least $500 with a Personal account.
* Have been a PayPal member for at least 60 days.
* Link a credit card whose monthly statement is sent to a street address (not a PO Box).
* Be Verified.
* Provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number and date of birth.
* Be an active PayPal member in good standing.
To apply, click here. I'm right here if you have any other questions."

Of course, when you hit "click here," it gives you the same error message. 

Looks like a tough bar to clear. 

Regards,

BD
P.S.   I quizzed her on the "recieved" part and she said: "like receiving $500 in ebay payments." 

Login to Me Too

HShelly

I am having the exact same problem. I have never lived outside the U.S or ever applied for a PayPal debit card. I am a frequent Ebay shopper and I am getting ready to sell. I do everything on PayPal and the PayPal debit card would benefit me, Anyone find out anything more about the issue?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.