PayPal has essentially stolen my funds

teeshurts
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal inexplicably limited access to my funds on Wednesday, 07 September 2016. They didn't explain why, and after jumping through a lot of hoops I was told that my account had been "completely restored."

On Thursday, 08 Sept. 2016, PayPal deactivated my card: "For security reasons, we deactivated your PayPal Debit Card. Please call if you have any questions." Of course, when I call, I am eithe rput on hold for half an hour or end up talking to someone who tells me someone else handles debit cards, then put sme on hold for 20 minutes.

On Friday, 09 Sept. 2016, I attempted to link my BofA account so as to withdraw money seeing as PayPal has deactivated my card. After I entered my routing and account number, I was informed: "An unknown service error occurred."

As such, PayPal has essentially stolen my funds. Sure, I can wait two weeks to get a check, but I need that money now, and not haing immediate access to it is going to cost me a great deal.

If anybody else has had such problems, please contact me. I think it's time for PayPal to pay up via a class action. SInce PayPal doesn't have a chat feature for emergencies for when they have inexplicably cut off access to one's funds — like a responsible financial institution does — nor answeres emails for days despite promising to do so within 24 hours, the results are such that PayPal should pay penalties when behaving unethically and possibly illegally.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Look, call the number on back of card to see why your card was deactivated.  Was there case opened in the Resolution Center?

Did you use the card or account in any way that may have triggered this?  Like try to make regular preauthorized payments from the PayPal debit card which you can't do. Any activity that may be construed as high risk?

Here is PayPal Debit info:

For customer service or additional information regarding your Card, please contact:

PayPal Debit Card Program
PO Box 45950
Omaha NE 68145-0950
866-888-6080

Here is Card user agreement:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/debitcard-full

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

All funds can be get at, push comes to shove, after 180 days so it is never 'stolen' if PayPal decides to end their relationship with you by closing your account for whatever reason.   Or you can contact your state's Unclaimed Property Administrator to retrieve any monies that PayPal will escheat to the State after account closure.

Login to Me Too

teeshurts
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

All funds can be get at, push comes to shove, after 180 days so it is never 'stolen' if PayPal decides to end their relationship with you by closing your account for whatever reason.   Or you can contact your state's Unclaimed Property Administrator to retrieve any monies that PayPal will escheat to the State after account closure.

Send me all the funds in your PayPal account and I'll return them in 180 days. In the meantime, please go away.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

lol you wish!

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@teeshurts

I doubt at this point,you can ask Paypal to send you a check,it looks like it is blocking you anyway it can to withdraw your Paypal fund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.