trying to send money to family member

kinkajou60
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to send money to a family member's PayPal account using my PayPal credit.  I followed the directions on how to do that but I keep getting a message that says it can't be sent at this time.  I've not sent money before and I have plenty of credit available.  I sent an email request to paypal but all I got back was an automated email.  Anybody know what's going on?  Thanks.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

PayPal Credit is not guaranteed to be used when you want it.  At this time you don't qualify to use PayPal Credit for sending money to another party.

Login to Me Too

kinkajou60
Contributor
Contributor
So how do I know when I qualify? Is there a place in my account profit where I can see that? I'm assuming so since you were able to see it.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You will not know in advance.  It's part of PayPal's risk and security models.

I did not see anything about your account; I just know how PayPal Credit works. 

The higher your crdit score (like over 800), including a low debit to total availalble credit on credit cards and other financial factors will influence your offers for PayPal Credit.  PayPal wants to see that you don't really NEED the credit and that you will be very low risk for being given more credit.

If PayPal Credit were offered for sending to friends you would be charged the regular PayPal payment fee.

Login to Me Too

kinkajou60
Contributor
Contributor
But I have no trouble making purchases with my PayPal credit. How is that different from sending money?
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I am not even sure you can use paypal credit to send money to friend and family,I thought it is for purchaes and it is not always available,if it is ,it will show up on your order screen as a payment option.

it is not like your bank or credit card credit.

Login to Me Too

kinkajou60
Contributor
Contributor
According to the site it says I can, unless there's been a change recently and the site isn't updated.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There is less risk when you purchase things than when you give away money.

Do you have a credit card and a bank account linked to your PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

kinkajou60
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, I do.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.