tracking number for to clear payment ???

leekhan
New Community Member

i have agreed to sell an iphone to a customer from ebay, they are claiming they have made the payment but are requireing a tracking number for the item before the funds clear into my account. Can anyone help me and explain the procedure please. It is not showing at all in my activity or balance. The customer is claiming that paypal have sent them a email saying they should request an tracking number to clear funds... please advise?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Seems really fishy to me.

First it's an EXTRMELY high risk transaction.

You need to make sure your comply with all PayPal seller protectoin policies; you need to follow PayPal polcies, not what a buyer is telling you what to do.

My suggestion would be to cancel any sale until you review all of the risks involved.

Of course, if there is no sale transction in your account, then there is no sale. In that case ignore emails from the scammer.

PayPal does not provide seller protection for poor judgement.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you cant find the payment in your account,then you have not been paid.

Paypal does not ask for tracking number,it is between you and your buyer/

Has he already placed the order on EBay or the two of you plan to sell outside Ebay?

Login to Me Too

Judith123
Contributor
Contributor

I assume you are corresponding with the potential buyer via Email.  Therefore, I strongly urge you to read this PayPal Help page on "How to Spot Fake Emails": 

https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ2340/3

Amongst other Signs of Fake Emails, it warns this:  

"Some fraudsters try to trick you into thinking that you've received a payment for an order. They want what you're selling for free. Before you ship anything, log into your PayPal account and check that you were actually paid."

And this:

"The email says the money is “on hold” until you complete an action (i.e., send money through Western Union or click a link to submit a tracking number). You can easily see if you received money by logging in to your PayPal account (do not click any links within the email).  If you’ve been paid, you’ll see the payment in your account."

I agree with the others above -- and PayPal says this throughout the page (link) referenced above -- if you have been paid, it will show in your PayPal account.  ... even if it's "on hold", I'm sure.  

As much as I know you want to sell the item, I'm sorry, I really think it's a scam.  

(For more info, go to PP's Help section and search the word "Scams".  And, report the scam emails to PP -- there's info to do that on the page/link above.)

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

They did not pay, it is a scam so ignore them.  Real buyers do not claim this or do that and the other.  They just pay up and the money and transaction should appear in your recent activity. No ifs, ands or buts and then they leave you alone to take care of shipping the item out.

Edit: And when you ship, then you can supply the tracking number.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.