paypal not closing after ebay purchase & log out

minnirc
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

i have had this problem for several months i have contacted ebay & paypal and they said there was no problem but to me it is a problem someone could get into my acct.  which could help them with id theft! does anyone else have this happen too?  here is the problem i buy an item on ebay it takes me to paypal i log in pay for the item it says transaction complete i then go back to my summary/watch list page and log out of ebay completely go back to my provider home page go to fav's list click on paypal and when it comes up MY PAYPAL ACCT. IS STILL OPEN? I FOUND THIS BY ACCIDENT!   YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY IT TO SEE IF IT HAPPENS TO YOU. I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING GOING TO THE MEDIA WITH THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE JUST BLOWING ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!

MINNIRC

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Logging out on ebay does not log you out on paypal as they are 2 different sites.

But can't see what the problem is, how can someone hijack your account if you are logged in on your OWN computer.  ??

If you are in a public place then yes you should log off on both sites but to be honest as soon as you close down the tabs it logs you out anyway and how many folks log on to paypal in a public computer anyway.

Honestly can't see why you are so riled up.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

minnirc
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

once you complete your transaction there is no place to sign out of paypal it just says transaction complete then you have to go back to your summary page. i didn't know paypal did not auto. sign you out and when you sign out of ebay it should auto sign you out of paypal as per ebay customer service? i now check and sign out of paypal every time i use it on ebay other sites do auto sign you out.

thanks

Login to Me Too

sjjb
New Community Member

I agree with minnirc that this is a security flaw.  I discovered it the same way s/he did and was startled.  You may think you have complete control over your computer, kernowlass, but in the real world most of us live and work with other people around, and leave our computers on but unattended at times.  Also laptops and mobile phones are highly susceptible to theft.

I would hope for PayPal to resolve the issue, but if it won't, I guess that means users will have to be vigilant and go to the Paypal site after every purchase in order to make sure we're logged out, which is a slight nuisance.

Login to Me Too

minnirc
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

even when ebay & paypal were the same co. it did not auto close paypal after transaction and now that they have separated it still does the exact same thing. i got no where with cs/security just a bunch of double talk and yesterday i ordered some stuff and it did the same thing. i just make sure to go to fav's after every transaction and manually sign out of paypal. obviously they don't care if your acct. stays open which to me is a security problem!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.