What to do If you get scammed and lose a dispute?

GideonAmis

Ok, so about a week ago I tried to buy an account for a certain game. The account was $30usd and the seller insisted that I go first. After I went first the seller then said he'd check his paypal and then about 5 seconds later he blocks me (I never recived what I paid for). Since It was sent as F&F I started an unauthorized transaction dispute. Now on the 15th I just got an email from paypal saying I have lost the dispute. But I got scammed and the seller got away with it and he never even responded to the dispute. I emailed the seller begging him to refund me but he never responded to email and he never intended to.

What do I do to get my money back?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GideonAmis

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GideonAmis

But the scammers paypal account won't even be investigated?

So it's ok to scam just as long as it wasn't sent as F&F?

Login to Me Too

GideonAmis

Can anybody help me? Can't paypal investigate the account of the scammer or does paypal just not care? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
No one scammed you as you were not paying for anything. If you were you would have used the goods and services option. Instead you sent a 'gift' of money to someone and you can't dispute a gift.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

GideonAmis

I was buying an account and the user said to send as F&F or else I could not get the account. I kind of understand your logic but that does not mean he is not a scammer. Thanks for the help anyways. At least now I know that PayPal doesn't care about scammers unless it was sent as goods and services. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GideonAmis

Well you sent as f/f and didn't get the account anyway so what does that tell you?

You negated your 'buyer protection' the minute you sent the payment using that option.

Paypal gives you buyer protection but YOU chose to lose it as you decided to send as the seller requested.

Then you expect paypal to 'bail' you out?

Yes he was probably a scammer but you let yourself be scammed by using an option that paypal advises against for payment for goods / services.

The clue is in the title 'friends / family' if he was not either why would you use that option?

I only use it when i am sending gifts to family members or mates.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Of course you would loose an unauthorized dispute as you did, in fact, authorize the payment.

It was YOUR choice the pay by F/F knowing fulll well that was not the correct way and that there was no buyer protection.  

It's all in PayPal User Agreement which you accepted.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.