Switching my default payment method

missdogmom
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering if there is a way to switch the default account from which my payments are taken. After checking for a PayPal account balance, PayPal currently takes the money from my bank account, unless I manually change it to my credit card, which is what I always do. To eliminate these extra steps, I would like to set my credit card to be the default after any PayPal balance. Is there a way to do this?

Login to Me Too
86 REPLIES 86

DRLx2
Contributor
Contributor

Try here . . .

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-ach&nav=0.6.6

or here.  I just changed mine default.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/customerprofile/summary.view?nav=0.6

It took me a while to locate it.

Good luck, I hope this is what everyone is looking for.

Login to Me Too

traceyvh
New Community Member

omg, where is that? I haven't seen that page in ages. I can't find it without your links. I'd like to know how to get back there without coming to the forum. Much, much thanks!

Login to Me Too

rubilips
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal may think it's more profitable to  have us use a checking account as a default, but they need to think this through. I will NEVER use Paypal to pay for monthly recurrent fees--it would require  going to the checkbook each time! And I have about 10 recurring accounts. Paypal--you should allow members to choose their default method of payment!

Or if not, honestly explain why!

Login to Me Too

Cyberider
New Community Member

I have been using PayPal for at least 12 years. I do whatever I can to NOT use Paypal because they force the default payment as my chequing account and now they will not even let you change that at check out! So even if you remember to change it... you cannot even do that now - wow! I setup my preferred payment method as CC but that only works for re-occuring payments.

Because I live in Canada paypal wants to force me to use my CAD chequing account instead of my USD Visa card so that they can scam me on their horrible exchange rate.

Such **bleep**!

Rick

PAYPAL NEES TO ALLOW USERS TO CHOSE THEIR DEFAULT PAYMENT METHOD

Login to Me Too

jenbeaven

Tell merchants to support paying with Amazon and Google. PayPal isn't the only game in town anymore. I've been using PayPal since Wells-Fargo days, and I am disappointed with this new customer-hostile attitude. I get the profit motive, I'm sure it adds up, however in the long run it drives loyal customers away.

Login to Me Too

Mikep1
New Community Member

Using ebay used to be so user friendly. Each time I checked out I would need to choose which card (paypal) that I used. Not confusion.

Now it always defaults to my personal card, and the choices are so placed that the transaction has gone through before I remember to look.

It would be SO SIMPLE to require you check which account to use - ie only default if asked to.

WHY IS PAYPAL MAKING IT SO HARD TO CHANGE THE DEFAULT CARD? 

I am soon needing to avoid ebay as buying things for my company is defaulting to my personal account. I know I can change it every time I purchase, but remembering fails and it changes straight back.

Amazon checkout is so so SO much easier, and it is a a shame that Paypal  only offers the option of taking off my personal card.

I do not want to delete my personal card as some times I do use it.

Has anyone found a way of getting around this - I dont think there is?

Please PayPal, surely you can find someone who is just a little bit clever to close this silly failure.

Login to Me Too

Psmythe
Contributor
Contributor

I think one option is to open a second PayPal account, so you have one for your private use and one for your business use.

Login to Me Too

rubilips
Contributor
Contributor

I finally figured it out. Delete your bank info, leaving only a credit card as a possibility. Despite dire warnings from PayPal, it works.

Login to Me Too

MaydaOHerlihy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but if you have more than one credit card on there and want to pick which one to pay with, it still is nearly impossible to figure out how to set or change the default card. It was MUCH easier with the classic site. Their phone customer service rep and his supervisor have both just advised me that there is no way to set a "primary card"....I laughed on the line and told them I'm not imagining it to which they said "sorry we can't help"....seriously??????

Login to Me Too

cannrobe

Might be a little late, but it has taken me an age to find the information required to do this and i still can't find a simple way, without going to the classic PayPal site!And no need to delete bank account, which will remove your verified status I believe!

I guess they don't want you to change the default payment method to credit card Smiley Wink

Setting Default Payment Method to Credit Card

Once logged into PayPal goto this link:

PayPal Classic Site

Click My Money on left hand side
Click Update next to the credit card you want to use as default
Click Edit
At top of page tick the tick box that says "Make primary card (optional)"
Click Save at bottom

Your chosen credit card is now you primary payment method.

Setting Default Payment Method for Pre-Approved Payments

For those who have a number of pre-approved payments that go out every month/year and want to make your credit card the default payment method for them. Follow below:

Again, once logged into PayPal goto this link:

PayPal Classic Site

Click My Money on left hand side
Click Update next to My pre-approved payments
Just above the list of merchants at the right hand side there's a link "Set Available Funding Sources" Click it
Then just untick any method you don't want to be used

Click Save at bottom

Now all pre-approved payments will only go through the chosen method (in my case credit card):smileywink:

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.