Refund of counterfeit item

jellybean90
New Community Member

Hello

I purchased a gift on ebay for my granddaughter. it was advertised as an genuine item, brand new and in original box. when it arrived it was clearly counterfeit. it wasnt even in the original box. I contacted the seller who assurred me it was original but hed put it in a different box to avoid import tax. I told him that this wasnt good enough as Id ordered an original item , in its original box and asked him to send me a pre paid postage lable so that I could return the item. He offered me half my money back if I kept the item, which i refused as I wanted an original.The item was then removed by ebay so  I then launched a dispute with paypal, assuming I was protected underr their payment garantee. It seems i was wrong. Paypal say I must pay the return postage for the item, evn though what I received is not what ws advertised or what I ordered....is this correct??? if so then it would mean that a seller could advertise anything and post you something different and you would have to pay the reurn postage. the item I purchased was just short of £10 and the return postage is not much less. Why are Paypal penalizing me for a sellers blatent dishonesty????

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal is a payment processor,not judge Judy,even Judge cannot force the vendor to pay return shipping,you have to deal with the seller yourself.

As a payment processor,Paypal can only give you back what you paid after you return the item,it cannot go and dig upmore money from the recipient.

thast what a payment processor does,punish the seller.

also Paypal did not encourage you to buy from this or that seller,esp an overseas seller.

if you bought something in a store which you found defective,do you call them to come and pick up the item or do you drive to the store to return the item/

Be careful next time,just remember,if you buy from an overseas buyer,return shipping with tracking can be awfully expensive

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

sorry,you are in UK,if seller is in UK,it is domestic shipping,not overseas shipping.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.