CHARGING IN BRAZILIAN REAL

savageo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello..

Days ago, I bougth some things on eBay from US sellers, but when I saw my statement bank, I noticed they charged me a fee for the conversion of Brazilian Real to US Dollar...

I do not know why is happening that, when in my all other purchases in the past I never had been any problem of that tipe.

I do not know why eBay is charging in Brazilian Real instead in US Dollar...

I am a US Buyer, and I buy from US seller...

Thank you !!!

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35

Mangorunner
Contributor
Contributor

@USeastcoast wrote:

I'll be using your post to ask Paypal to remedy my problem. Thanks again. 

Oh yeah, you'll most likely need to refer to this post, as the reps I spoke with were not only in-the-dark and completely unaware, they were also unwilling to believe that a customer could actually be right, the problem on their end, and take a just a New York minute to investigate.  I was armed with only printscreens, which didn't get me into the end zone.  This thread may get you the touchdown.

Carol

Login to Me Too
Solved

savageo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello...

Finally after one call to eBay customer service, and three calls to paypal customer service, my problem of conversion from US dollar to brazilian real was fixed, now when I want to buy a thing through paypal my transaction appears in dollars, and my bank charge in dollars, there is no fees or another rare charged...

But now, I have to fight with paypal to they refund me the fees and other charges that my bank made...

Thanks everybody for the help...

P.D. The issue was with the system of paypal... A BIG ISSUE !!!

Login to Me Too

SJ333
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this happened to me too!

My bank charged me foreign transactions fees for purchases I made via PayPal for two completely different US-based companies: Fandango (purchase made 11/4/16) and ThredUp (purchase made 11/8/16). These were around the dates reported by others.

There is a seriously HUGE scam or hacking issue going on with PayPal. It feels weird to be one of the first people to be affected by something that I am sure will make the news eventually. PayPal is going to have to send out an email to all its customers, I'm sure. (Not to mention they will be obligated to pay the foreign transaction fees of everyone who was affected...)

My customer representative didn't believe me at first either, but he eventually looked into the problem himself and became really helpful. He realized I was right about those companies being based in the US. I also referred him to this thread. He has just escalated the issue for me, but it will probably be a while before I can get the fees reimbursed. 😞 

Login to Me Too

SJ333
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Fees refunded.

I just checked my credit card account and the transaction fees as well as the price adjustments have been refunded to me. Whew. They are listed as "fee errors."

I don't know exactly how this got resolved, but I hope Paypal emails me to clarify what happened. Maybe they are hoping this just quiety goes away...

Login to Me Too

USeastcoast
Contributor
Contributor

Great it worked out for you. After several emails to Paypal, the price adjustments were refunded but they wanted me to call to have the bank transaction fees paid back. 

Login to Me Too

USeastcoast
Contributor
Contributor

Wow! Somebody from Paypal must be watching this thread. Right after I posted, I received a series of bank alerts showing credits to my account. The amounts do not tally with the actual forex difference and transaction fees (and I received about $0.50 more) but I appreciate that something is being done, so thank you, Paypal support. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.