Business Account with incorrect contact name

GMWC_VP
Contributor
Contributor

Five years ago, I set up a Business Paypal account for a non-profit organization.  At the time, I was a board member, so I used my name and SS# to set it up. I am no longer on the board and not the owner of the paypal account. I never was the owner of the paypal account. It was set up with the intention that the organization owned the account.  Since I am no longer on the board and do not have signing privileges for the organization's linked checking account, it is a security risk for the organization that my name and social security number associated with the account.  This organization changes boards every year, so there is no one who is a permanent person.  I do not want the liability of having access to their bank accounts, but because Paypal is not allowing me to change the contact name on the account, I am put in a liability situation that could have legal ramifications. 

There needs to be a way for businesses to remove people from their business paypal account. It's a fact that employees leave, board members change, and not giving businesses an easy way to remove people's names and social security numbers from business accounts is creating a liability for businesses. Imagine if a disgruntled employee had set up the account, and cleaned out a business's linked bank accounts because they had access through paypal.  According to Paypal, they're allowed to do so, because the employee owns the account rather than the business.  

All the options I find allow me to change my name if it has legally changed, but there does not seem to be a way to disassociate myself from a business when I set up the business account for the business. As I said, the organization owns the account, not me, so how do I remove my name and put in the current treasurer's name instead?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

GMWC_VP
Contributor
Contributor

Also, since the organization has not really been utilizing the paypal account, having a new account hold on it probably will not affect them in any adverse way.  Since 2013, only 5 transaction have been completed with the account. Until they are more savvy with using the account, I doubt it will be used any more than that in the immediate future. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

I know you don't consider it your account, but what matter is what PayPal considers.  Since it is your SS# and you are the one who manages the account PayPal would consider it your account.  From my research PayPal will not allow the SS# to be be removed or changed.  The only way to fix that would be to close the account. Hopefully you can find someone at PayPal support who can help.  I think it will take a lot of persistence to reach a really knowledgable person; there are low level staff who may give conficting information about your options.

Did you check into Sqaure to see if they have a better option for an account to be actually registered to the business rather than a person?

Login to Me Too

GMWC_VP
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't check with the square. I'll leave that to the organization to figure out.

The last person I spoke with seemed to know what he was talking about. I told him upfront that I spoken to several people and they all made assumptions about what I needed and didn't listen. So asked him to really pay attention, because it wasn't just a case of changing my legal name, and he really seemed to listen and gave good advice.

The name and SS# can be replaced/changed as long as there is someone else willing to have their name and SS# listed. They won't simply remove a SS#, but they will replace it with someone else who is willing to take on the liability. I don't imagine anyone will be willing to do that, which means the account will have to be closed rather than taken over. 

Paypal may consider it my account, but I know neither the organization nor I ever considered it my account. I did find out that paypal is using the EIN for tax reporting and not my SS#, so that is a good thing. And the EIN does belong to the organization. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Using the EIN for tax reporting is a good thing.  Did the organization actually get a 1099-K?

With my searching here I found a case where a person had a PayPal account with SS# and EIN and thought all reporting was done with the EIN.  As it turned out it was with SS# and the account holder eventually got a letter from the IRS showing the account holder owed a lot of money for not reporting.

If it really was reported to EIN and only to EIN, then at least it won't cause you future problems.

I'm actually surprised that PayPal would allow a change in SS#. 

Usually it's even difficult just to change a legal name while PayPal investigates.

Login to Me Too

GMWC_VP
Contributor
Contributor

I think they will allow it because the organization is a corporation.  It might be different for a sole proprietorship. However, it's not unusual for corporations have changes in personnel, and if paypal required a corporation to close an account and open a new account whenever someone on the account left the business, they'd never get corporations to use paypal.  It wouldn't make them very business friendly... Not that they really are business friendly, because they still make you jump through a lot of hoops to make the change. But in some situations, changing the contact name and ss# would be easier than closing the account and opening a new one.  

I read that post you're talking about.  This organization did not have enough money go through the account to have any 1099s issued--less than $400 since 2013.  I believe that the IRS only requires Paypal to issue a 1099 after there has been at least $20,000 income transactions in one year. I could be wrong about that, but I know whatever the limit is, this organization didn't even come close.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.