Automatic payment conversion

antowkauniv
Contributor
Contributor

Dear paypal comunity,

Few days ago paypal updated the sending money interface, so now it looks like on the picture. For example, here I try to send 10EUR to paypal account registered in Poland, and paypal automatically proposes to convert the payment to 42PLN.

If the sender of the payment takes attention, he chooses that Recipient will get EUR. But, by default, sender does not care of the currency conversion.

Now I've got few payments made from US accounts, but automatically converted to EUR, as I have French paypal account. I have already chosen my primary currency as USD, but it did not help. This automatic currency conversion takes about 3% from my payments !!!

Does anyone knows how can I choose not to propose automatic currency conversion and send payments in original currency? I work as freelancer, and I get small payments from tens of paypal accounts. It's somewhat difficult to explain everyone to send me the payments exactly in original currency...

paypal1.JPG

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I have US account and only want USD, so I invoice in USD for my intl senders.  The conversion takes place at the sender's end and I get USD with regular PayPal fee deducted as usual.  No hassle.  So if you freelance, suggest you start invoicing or making PayPal pay links for jobs in the currency you want.  It's confusing like you say, if you accept whatever currency they send you and you lose % to convert to your currency.

I look at French User agreement and they do not explain much on how you can work with multiple currencies effectively.

And don't start with the send payment with friends and family payment story.  You accept payment for your services, you should pay a fee or PayPal will block your ability to send F&F payments forever.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You are in POLAND and you have a French Paypal account?

Paypal is country specific,if you have signed up with Paypal in France,then your local currency would be Euro.

when US buyers paid you in US dollars,unless you go into your Paypal account and stated you will accept US dollars and want to keep them as US dollars,else it would convert into Euro for you.and there is  conversion fee,like 2 1/2 %.

then you said you sent $10 euro to your Polish Paypal account,your Polish account local currency would be Polish,so conversion from euro to polish money.

go to that POLISH ACCOUNT and state you would accept Euro /US dollars  you want to accept and keep them as Euro,do not convert .

how do you manage to access both french and polish account from one device ?  

Login to Me Too

antowkauniv
Contributor
Contributor

I live in France, and I have only french paypal account.

My friend lives in Poland with Polish paypal. I just showed that picture as an example of proposed currency conversion.

You said "unless you go into your Paypal account and stated you will accept US dollars and want to keep them as US dollars". But, as I know, this works only if you accept payment manually, which happens when you don't have a corresponding opened currency. Paypal asks in this case: what whould you like to do with this payment, convert it to EUR or create USD wallet.

Or... I don't understand something....

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

if Paypal ask you ,then say you want to keep the payment as US Dollars,then you have 2 currencies with your French account-euro and US $.

as for your Polish friend,if you sent her Euro 10 and she accepts polish money ,then your euro will be converted,there is a conversion fee, 

Login to Me Too

antowkauniv
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I understand. And she loses about 4% on conversion.

My question is a somewhat different. Today one person sent me 20USD, but I've got only 17.55EUR(-3% conversion fee) due to this default conversion to EUR. By the way, I have USD and EUR wallets. How can I switch off this default conversion for future payments? It's difficult to take care of every client and kindly ask them to send USD with great attention.

I thought of paypal.me link. There you can put, for example, paypal.me/username/20USD.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

you have to go into your PAYPAL account and set your preference,I think it is under 'selling'.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@antowkauniv wrote:

yes, I understand. And she loses about 4% on conversion.

My question is a somewhat different. Today one person sent me 20USD, but I've got only 17.55EUR(-3% conversion fee) due to this default conversion to EUR. By the way, I have USD and EUR wallets. How can I switch off this default conversion for future payments? It's difficult to take care of every client and kindly ask them to send USD with great attention.

I thought of paypal.me link. There you can put, for example, paypal.me/username/20USD.

is the $20 for goods and merchandise?

then there is a paypal transaction fee and discount fee? and the conversion fee.

You cannot  avoid the paypal transaction fee and discount fee if it is for goods and merchandise ,no matter what curreny is used

Login to Me Too

antowkauniv
Contributor
Contributor

"you have to go into your PAYPAL account and set your preference,I think it is under 'selling'."

I did not find any appropriate options there.

"is the $20 for goods and merchandise?"

no, that 20USD was sent as for friend and family.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@antowkauniv wrote:

"you have to go into your PAYPAL account and set your preference,I think it is under 'selling'."

I did not find any appropriate options there.

"is the $20 for goods and merchandise?"

no, that 20USD was sent as for friend and family.

where and how did you ask for the payment?

if you are on a US site,and ask for US$20,then you get US $20?

If you have your own website,take a look how you set up payment method?

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I have US account and only want USD, so I invoice in USD for my intl senders.  The conversion takes place at the sender's end and I get USD with regular PayPal fee deducted as usual.  No hassle.  So if you freelance, suggest you start invoicing or making PayPal pay links for jobs in the currency you want.  It's confusing like you say, if you accept whatever currency they send you and you lose % to convert to your currency.

I look at French User agreement and they do not explain much on how you can work with multiple currencies effectively.

And don't start with the send payment with friends and family payment story.  You accept payment for your services, you should pay a fee or PayPal will block your ability to send F&F payments forever.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.