Advice on appealing a bad decision on a fraudulent purchase from our account

docrameous
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal Community...

My wife and I got this email out of the blue saying that we had purchased a $25 iTunes certificate from London, UK on Ebay.  This was a complete shock to us.  My wife and I rarely buy iTunes certificates and if we did so, why would I go to the trouble of buying it from London?  Regardless, only my wife and I occasionally use our Paypal account, and neither of us made this purchase!

We immediately changed our password and filed a dispute. Today I get a notice from paypal saying the following:

We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use.

You also previously appealed this case and it was denied. The appealed case ID is PP-I-XXXXXX.

For more information about these cases, log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Center.

So that is it?  It is not a lot of money so it won't wreck my life, but what it does for me is completely undermine the security of paypal AND its ability to detect issues.  What if it had been thousands of dollars?  I have no clue how a purchase was made in our name and that is what is most disturbing.

Any advice on how to make an appeal of an appeal in the big machine of Paypal?  I am about to pull the plug on paypal forever because the risk is not worth it.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

is there really another dispute you filed ?

do you or your wife do a lot  of banking with cell phone,how is the security?

Login to Me Too

docrameous
Contributor
Contributor

@sumiko wrote:

is there really another dispute you filed ?

do you or your wife do a lot  of banking with cell phone,how is the security?

No, this was the only one.

My wife and I do no banking with our cellphones.  In fact, we are a little security paranoid when it comes to this sort of thing!

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

What are the details of the transaction in your PayPal activity list on your computer?

Login to Me Too

docrameous
Contributor
Contributor
@DPCreations wrote:

What are the details of the transaction in your PayPal activity list on your computer?

Here's a screen shot. Aside from being ripped off for some unknown reason which PayPal has not been able to detect, I am disappointed after all these years that they won't stand with us.  I plan to make an attempt to call PayPal tomorrow and failing any kind of resolution, I will be forced to close our account as I cannot accept this kind of risk and exposure.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Still have no information about the original transaction details.  Was there an actual transaction your disputed?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

is <removed> the person who gets the money?

it said Ebay?

crooks are pretty sophisticated these days,they use words like Ebay,Paypal Itunes,Google to make it look like it comes from these venues and since many people buy a lot from internet,they just overlook these charges.

they show up on our bank account,credit card statement and now you said it is in your Paypal account/

could your or your  wife been visiting to some sites which got hold of your Paypal password?

Login to Me Too

docrameous
Contributor
Contributor
@sumiko wrote:

is <removed> the person who gets the money?

it said Ebay?

crooks are pretty sophisticated these days,they use words like Ebay,Paypal Itunes,Google to make it look like it comes from these venues and since many people buy a lot from internet,they just overlook these charges.

they show up on our bank account,credit card statement and now you said it is in your Paypal account/

could your or your  wife been visiting to some sites which got hold of your Paypal password?

Yup, Bobby gets the money. We 'apparently' bought an iTunes card from Ebay in London.

I have no clue how they could have got ahold of my PayPal password.  We rarely use the account, though we have had it for many years.  We don't buy many things online in general.

I'll call Paypal tomorrow... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.