chose wrong payment type

igotscammedalot
Contributor
Contributor

i recently sent a payment of $105. i chose friends and family instead of goods and services. i opened dispute because turns out the person was a scammer. i was supposed to receive a laptop from the person. he was supposed to ship it on 8/28/15 but when i tried to contact him, it said that he blocked me so i couldnt talk to him. when i did get contact with him, i asked him for shipment proof and instead of actually taking a picture, he sent me a picture he found on google. i just looked up received package from ups and found the picture. i contacted him again and said i was blocked and he wouldnt talk to me. i contacted paypal by phone and i "chose the wrong choice" when i was opening a dispute. i chose unauthorized transaction or transaction error. it technically is a transaction error. they told me to wait and refile a claim, but when i read the resolution center dispute case, it basically said since it was authorized by me the person that received the money will be favored and keep the $105. i think this is bs especially when the person i talked to just said it was a unauthorized transaction and didnt say transaction error. what do i do because i most likely 99% lost the case and i just lost all my money. this was on wallapop that i found the item

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Firstly an unauthorised transaction means that someone hijacked your paypal account and used it without your consent.....this is not the case so the dispute was denied.

Secondly you did authorise the transaction you sent a gift to someone.

A “gift” or “personal” payment is intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member why would you use that option, enabling the seller to evade his paypal fees and negating your buyer protection at the same time.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

igotscammedalot
Contributor
Contributor
Unauthorized transaction OR transaction error. I chose the wrong button because I was in a rush. Either ways he still has a negative 209 balance
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.