Payment sent to wrong email address

callowen657
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,I could do with some help if okay,Yesterday evening i sent a largish sum of money via paypal to a incorrect email address,Instead of using .com i used .co.uk.

The money hit the wrong paypal account and cleared instantly and has been claimed by the wrong person,I have tried emailing them asking for the funds back and i have heard nothing,I made contact with paypal and told them i made a genuine mistake in what i had done,They basically told me that i had lost my money as it was a payment from paypal funds.

Anyone have any idea in what i can do ????

Many thanks Callum

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Does it allow you to file a dispute on the transaction page?  Payments funded by PP balance, you're pretty much at the mercy of the recipient refunding you.  If your payment is not eligible for protection, you can still try to work it out with the recipient via dispute but PayPal won't rule on it.  Since the recipient is not responding...there won't be much of a chance of you getting the money back.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

callowen657
Contributor
Contributor

I just cant understand why there are no hoonest people anymore,I have had a chat to the police and they think i have a case of theft as the money has not being returned.Not the way i wanted to go to be honest but it was not just a few quid.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

what is the payment for?

if for purchase of goods,go ahead and file item not received?

before you act,come back and tell us question no1.   

Login to Me Too

Sabina_Angelia
Contributor
Contributor

Try to contact paypal customer service, if they can locate your transaction.

i have that case before, once the money is being sent to incorrect email and showing unclaimed , you can just ask to cancel your payment.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Sabina_Angelia wrote:

Try to contact paypal customer service, if they can locate your transaction.

i have that case before, once the money is being sent to incorrect email and showing unclaimed , you can just ask to cancel your payment.

she said it was claimed immediately.

what it sounds like is that she sent to a valid email address so it is now with a new owner 

Login to Me Too

WipedOut
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

To the OP,

This is always the risk you take in paying anyone with funds left riding on your PP account.  Hate it for you but there may not be much you can do.  Whenever possible always ask the seller to send you a money request.  This ensures you know you are paying the correct person while protecting the seller on multiple levels.  

I have access to certain tools at my disposal to locate people based on email address.  If the user is in a public database I might be able to get you his contact information if you want to try phoning him directly?  It may not work but people can feel more pressure to the right thing when they know the other party is fully aware of their real identity.  Do not post the email publicly, will give you a way to send it privately.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

She could also ask the rightful recipient to report this theft to the police,but then if the person who wrongfully accept the payment is in a different country,then it wont work.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.