When will PayPal have Chip and PIN card readers? (EMV?)

purpledawn
New Community Member

Does PayPal plan to have a card reader that will be able to accept the new chip cards and comply with new EMV standards?

Login to Me Too
67 REPLIES 67

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

DoctorNote wrote:
Let's try again. This official response is 4 months old with no more information. The deadline is 3 1/2 months away. When will the emv reader be available and what is your plan to get it in to all of our hands BEFORE the deadline?

Three months is a long time.  The PayPal message says before October 1st and customers will be notified by email and on the PayPal website.

@DoctorNote

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

DoctorNote
Contributor
Contributor
"Three months is a long time. The PayPal message says before October 1st and customers will be notified by email and on the PayPal website." I disagree. I think 3 months is a short time and if PayPal does not start shipping emv devices very soon, they will have no way of supplying the user base before October 1st.
Login to Me Too

Reimund
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the latest information page on the EMV / Chip Smart reader that will be coming to the US market: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/emv

Login to Me Too

DoctorNote
Contributor
Contributor
Okay, they have explained EMV (already knew that) They have informed us of the October 1, 2015 deadline (already knew that). They still have not told us when their device will be available in the US. The implication is by the October 1st deadline. But when? September 30th? Personally, I do not want to be scrambling at the last minute.
Login to Me Too

Reimund
Contributor
Contributor

They said to check that page for coming information.  It was posted at the bottom of the page. "As the EMV deadline approaches, we’ll be here to help keep you informed, secure and thriving every step of the way. Check back for updates."

Login to Me Too

Reimund
Contributor
Contributor

It really doesn't matter since as of October 1st it's just a liability shift from the credit card companies to the business owners. It will be 5 years before the whole USA will be in compliance.  Those without chip readers can still scan the bar strip..even after October 1st.  No worries.

Login to Me Too

DoctorNote
Contributor
Contributor
Yes worries. After Oct 1st, if fraud occurs, and the merchant used mag swipe instead emv, the liabilty shifts to the merchant. I don't want that risk, and PayPal is not saying when it will be available. Sometime later this year is pretty vague and no guarantee. You may feel comfortable with this non-information, but I am not.
Login to Me Too

Reimund
Contributor
Contributor

The most I stand to loss would be the $$ of my average sales which is less then $200. I do have a chip smart EMV card terminal and pinpad at my business but for remote sales I use the Paypal Here card reader. If some one uses a fraud card then I would only lose $200 or less.  I'm sure businesses that have higher charge amounts stand to lose more.  I'm not worried about Paypal because they are PCI compliant and they will get the EMV reader out to everyone by Oct. 1st. I'm so sure! And if they don't then anyone can go and get a EMV  Chip smart reader from another company.  There are many credit card processors out there that would be glad to get your business.

Login to Me Too

CatHazEyes
Contributor
Contributor

I won't be making this assumption:

"The most I stand to loss (sic) would be the $$ of my average sales which is less then $200."

You swipe a card, cause you can't do EMV. someone has tapped your phone line, cracked the encryption, whatever.

The card number is sold, the crooks charge for a mink stole, bose audio, dyson sweeper. You are liable for the bogus charges on that conumser's account. Then you are liable for the investigation, PCI audit, penetration testing, and you don't get to choose the investigators, or the scope. Then, there is the PCI fines. you are now looking at tens of thousands of dollars. Oh, and guilty till proven not. And, you get to prove it. Yup, big money is shifting the blame & responsibility for some big hacks, and putting the onus on us.

check out the horror stories on those Interwebs, they must be tru.

just sayin'

Login to Me Too

ZackInMA
New Community Member

Dr.Note is completely correct to be concerned about PayPal's lack of a coherent plan here. The response is rather shameful thus far. Reimund – I think you need to go back and read the liability shift in greater detail. After 10/1 the merchant isn’t responsible for just the fraud at their business. If they are found to be the point of compromise they are responsible for ALL FRAUD!!! So if your point-of-sale terminal is compromised and card numbers stolen due to lack of EMV use, then the thief goes and buys a TV at Best Buy and takes a trip to Tahiti – guess who is on the hook for that. You are!

So you need to look at the bigger picture. It’s not just the fraudulent expenditures at your business that you would be responsible for. Dr.Note has every reason to be very concerned. We all should be.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.