Returning transferred money from friends and family

Dre1881
Contributor
Contributor
Okay so i have transferred money to this person through friends and family and he was supposed to send me something that i bought but he never did and he isn't responding at all. And I just want to know how I can receive that money back because I tried disputing it but it doesnt let me. And the money was transferred to his email through paypal and I want to know how i can retrieve it back.
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

According to PayPal, there are no goods or services that are part of a family/friends transaction; it is simply money transferred with no expectation of anything in return--like a gift.  You can't recall a gift.

In future, when you want to purchase something, make sure the seller sends you a proper PayPal invoice.

Login to Me Too

Dre1881
Contributor
Contributor
So there would be no way I could retreive that money back? Not even if i maybe call paypal and tell them the problem?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

So want to phone PayPal and explain that your violated their policy in using friends/family so the seller could avoid fees and now you want your money back?  I don't think it will work.

Login to Me Too

Dre1881
Contributor
Contributor
Im just aksing because I have never used paypal and it was my first time so i'm just trying to think of ways that I could get my money back.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Before using PayPal for anthing else, it's probably a good idea to read and understand PayPal policies and terms of use for you own protection.

Login to Me Too

Dre1881
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, so for sure their is no way I would get money back if i called right?
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There is no way of knowing unless you call.  Only PayPal customer service can answer that question and then only if you call.

By the way, it is also against policy for a seller to even ask that a buyer pay with friends/family as a way to avoid fees for a sale.  By calling you might even be able to implicate the seller so you get the seller's account limited so the seller can't do it to someone else.

But,  you won't know unless you make the phone call.

Login to Me Too

Dre1881
Contributor
Contributor
Oh okay we thank you for your help and I will go ahead and do that ao i apprciate your time.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.