Refund to Buyer problem- Please help!

acousticalbliss
New Community Member

I recently sold an iphone to a buyer on ebay. There were a few things wrong with it that I was not aware of when it got sent off, so my description of the condition it was in not in line with what they received, and they obviously emailed me back saying they wanted a refund. I confirmed the problem they claimed on the phone with the person who gave it to me to sell, and because I was in the wrong I immediately said "You may absolutely have a refund. Send it back to me with a tracking number and I'll refund you the cost of the phone and the shipping and handling costs when it arrives on my door." The person thanked me, and 21 days later they still have done nothing. I have emailed them a couple times already asking when they are going to send it, and they have replied each time saying they would send it the next day and give me a tracking number, but nothing ever happens. Is there a certain point beyond so many days that I am legally allowed to send them an email saying our business venture is closed since they clearly have no intention of sending the phone back? I can't do anything with the money until they either send it back or  they decide to just keep the phone, because if they send it back after the money is gone then I would have to pay out of pocket, which I am not about to do. What are my options here?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi acousticalbliss, and welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you have done your level best to make things right with your customer. The best sellers are the ones who exhibit the same commitment to customer service that you're showing! I'm sorry to hear that it's not having an immediate effect in this situation. 😞

At this point, the ball is in their court. They have to decide if they're going to take you up on your offer, or file a dispute, or simply forget about it and miss out on resolution.

If the buyer opts to file a dispute, they have 45 days from the date of the transaction to be eligible to pursue a refund via PayPal under Purchase Protection. Please bear in mind that if they used a credit card and opt to pursue a chargeback through the credit card processor, the funds might be at risk for a longer period of time. The time limit varies from one card issuer to the next. If the card issuer opts to grant their claim at a date farther along the line than 45 days, the defects of the phone may make them eligible for refund at that time.

If I were the seller in this situation, I'd likely try one more email to the buyer. I would explain that I am happy to make the situation right for them, and their cooperation would be very helpful to me in seeking compensation from my own supplier. Basically, I'd make sure to help the buyer to be comfortable that regardless of the outcome for me, they'll be compensated. Then I'd appeal to their empathy by explaining my effort at making sure that my own loss is offset once that's all said and done.

Most people want to do the right thing, but sometimes stuff gets in the way and life's little details (like timely replies to emails) are forgotten. A polite little extra nudge at the right time can sometimes make all the difference.

I hope the buyer gets back to you soon with a decision!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.