Paypal Authorization question

Ryan1214
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have a question reguarding Authorization for orders. I'll start with explaining my situation. I ordered a Fishfinder and mount at Overton's yesterday. After I made the order, I realized the mount I had ordered was incorrect. When I contacted them, they cancelled the order for me.I payed with paypal, aparently tthere is an authorization for the $190.78 I spent. I was told by Overton's that they don't charge to your account until the orders shipped, but my question is, is the $190.78 available for me to spend? It has not shown up as taken out of my bank account, but it still in the pending section of my paypal account. Will I have to wait for the authentication to expire to spend this money, or is it free to spend now? If I do have to wait, how long until this authentication goes away?

Thank you guys in advance,

Ryan

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Was this an authorization to take funds from your PayPal balace or from a credit card?

The autorization is a hold on the account so the funds cannot be used for another use until the authorization/hold lapses after saveral days.

Whichever service overton used, could release the hold if you contact that service.

Login to Me Too

Ryan1214
Contributor
Contributor

It was from my bank account as I leave no money in my paypal account.

Login to Me Too

Ryan1214
Contributor
Contributor

Btw this is what it says when I click on the transaction "This is a temporary authorization to make sure your payment method will cover the payment. Your payment method will be charged when Overton's completes your order."

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

That would be typical.  The temporary hold wold go away when the purchase is finalized.   In this case, however, the purchase was cancelled so the temporary hold will just remain for a few or more days and then drop off.  I think Overton could release the authorization immediately, but you would need to make the request.

Being a hold, it would mean you can't use those funds until the authorization is released.

Login to Me Too

Ryan1214
Contributor
Contributor

See i'm not even sure the money is on hold. It's still not been taken out of my bank account, and it says money will be charged when the order's completed. Anyway, how many days would an authorization normally last?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The money is on hold; it will not be taken out of the acocunt, but it is still reserved until the hold expires in several days; there is no set time as each payment service and bank may have different timings.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.