PayPal **bleep** Seller

LBaxter
Contributor
Contributor

Well, once again, the Resolution Center has managed to **bleep** me over. I sold an iPhone on <removed> and used PayPal for payment. The buyer bought the item where the listing stated clearly that it was for use with Verizon only and that I did not accept returns. However, when he got it, he discovered that his SIM card wouldn't work with it. I told him I would not accept returns, but asked what carrier SIM he was trying to use. He never responded. He opened a PayPal dispute.

I asked again what type of SIM card it was, he never responded. So, knowing that the item I sold him was indeed "As Described" in the ad, I escalated the claim to get it resolved. And, of course, PayPal ruled in his favor. WHY?! How can a buyer claim "not as described" for HIS SIM card not working when he never clarified what type of card he was trying to use? And how can PayPal rule that "Yup, the item is 'not as described'" when I provided proof otherwise?!

I am never using PayPal again, and I am taking my business to <removed>!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

When a buyer files item received but not as described there is often no way that paypal can actually know who is telling the truth as they cannot see the item the buyer has RECEIVED.

So to be fair to both parties the buyer is allowed to return the item BUT at their own expense trackable to prove delivery of the item back to you. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LBaxter
Contributor
Contributor

But, when the seller provides ample evidence that the item IS as it was described, the seller still has to fork over the refund regardless. Now, the seller is at the mercy of the buyer actually returning the item as it was when it was delivered. If/when the buyer sends back something damaged, or possibly sends an empty box with just a tracking number (it happens), the seller has lost time and money due to PayPal's ignorance. If PayPal actually investigated claims instead of siding with the buyer instantly, people would keep there business with them. I for one will take my business to Dwolla.com.

Login to Me Too

LBaxter
Contributor
Contributor

So, what will happen if/when the buyer ships back the item and it's broken, damaged, or just an empty box? Am I supposed to just shrug it off and be out an iPhone and $400 because PayPal didn't actually investigate? PayPal authorized the return, so they should be held responsible if the item does not get returned in the condition it was sold.

Login to Me Too

LBaxter
Contributor
Contributor

From PayPal's OWN documentation about filing a Dispute:

An item is “Significantly Not as Described” if it is materially different from what the Seller described in the item listing. Here are some examples:

1. You received a completely different item. For example, you purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
  2. The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the description when you bought the item said “new” and the item was used.
  3. The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
  4. The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in its description when you bought the item.
  5. You purchased three items from a Seller but only received two.
  6. The item was damaged during shipment.

If the Buyer does not provide evidence other than  "I just don't want this" or "I didn't read what I was buying before I bought it", why are they allowed a refund?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.