Issue with a refund

popixie
Contributor
Contributor

So, it all started last Thursday when I paid an invoice and realized I paid with an eCheck instead of my card. I contacted the seller, she canceled the payment, and I paid with my card.

Friday, I noticed that both charges were pending.

Saturday, both charges went through. I called PayPal. The status for the payment was that it had been canceled and the balance was in my PayPal account. It was not. The customer service rep first told me that I needed to contact the seller to cancel payment. I told him that I had already done so. I repeated the issue. He then said "Ah. Well, you need to call your bank and ask for a stop payment." I told him that a stop payment wouldn't work because a) the payment had already gone through and b) the cost of a stop payment was more than the cost of the transaction. Then he encouraged me to call my bank anyway because there was nothing he could do on his end. He didn't even acknowledge the part of the conversation when I said "PayPal is telling me the balance is in my PayPal account."

I contacted my bank, and they weren't helpful either. They told me I could do a dispute, which might take up to 90 days.

I just wanted my $29.50 back.

I contacted the seller, and she was super awesome and called PayPal too.

The person she spoke to said the money was, in fact, being credited back to my account, and that it would be Monday or Tuesday.

Today is Tuesday. I'm dreading getting back on the phone. How long should this actually take?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

From Help Topics:

If you paid with your bank account and the payment is canceled, that money will be refunded to your PayPal balance. It may take up to 3-5 business days for the refund to appear on your PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

popixie
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Tomorrow will be the fifth business day, so maybe it will come through then. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.