Is this a craigslist PayPal Scam?

MapleJuice
Contributor
Contributor
A guy wants to buy a computer from me for $800 dollars and says he is willing to pay an extra $200 for me to send it to his 'son' in Michigain. I was about to stop talking to him because it sounded like a total scam but i asked him to send the money first and he agreed and asked me for my paypal account email and full name. I feel like i should give it to him and wait for him to pay me. Should i trust this? My gut is confused on whether i should or shouldnt.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

READ THIS FIRST AND SEE IF ANY OF IT RINGS TRUE TO WHAT HE TELLS YOU NOW AND IN THE FUTURE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or if the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you. They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

READ THIS FIRST AND SEE IF ANY OF IT RINGS TRUE TO WHAT HE TELLS YOU NOW AND IN THE FUTURE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or if the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you. They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MapleJuice
Contributor
Contributor
Alright, thank you. Going to cut off communications with this guy now.
Login to Me Too

nevada146
Contributor
Contributor

I'm so glad I looked at this info first!  Going thru this today..wants to pay me 1200.00 for my dining room set listed as 650.00.  The extra 550.00 is for his movers coming to pick it up..wants me to pay them this CASH..wants me to look for an email from PP saying that the funds are there, but it might be in my junk email....going to send him a nasty text now and see if I can somehow get this guy in jail.  I was suspicious because he has an telephone are code from Florida and I'm in Ca.  Also told me that he was buying this for his "granny" and to call him "Ronald"

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.