IPN Resend Failure

Zardiw
Contributor
Contributor

Started happening recently. The live transactions work.......the IPN hits my script and everything is hunky dory.......but when i resend an IPN it always fails.

I don't think PayPal is actully calling my script, since the first thing the script does is send me an EMail.........

z

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

JakeA
New Community Member

I'm having the exact same issue on one of my client's websites.  I'm trying to resend some IPN information from the history section and it just comes back as "Failed."  I have updated my IPN code to not do anything but email me, and it doesn't seem to do it.

Hopefully someone will respond with how we/Paypal can fix this issue.

Regards,

Jake

Login to Me Too

scso1502
Contributor
Contributor

I am the client Jake (above) mentioned. We are still unable to get the past IPN transactions to post through our site successfully, however the new IPNs that have come in since yesterday randomly started working again. I plan on calling PP tech support but wanted to see if anyone else has a soultion or info on this problem first.

Thanks

Mike

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Zardiw, JakeA and scso1502,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

It sounds like this might be related to some recent maintenance we completed on April 19-20th which resulted in the PayPal IPN server IP addresses changing.  If you were already using DNS to resolve the IPs then I wouldn't expect this to be an issue. I'm only guessing so if this isn't it, contacting Merchant Tech Support is the best route to get more specific assistance.

The new IPNs will be sent from:

The previous IPN IPs sent from 66.211.x.x might still be used if old IPNs are being resent. This might explain why new IPNs would work but old IPNs being resent do not.

I recommend checking to see if these resent IPNs are coming from a 66.211.x.x to make sure your IPN listener server is not blocking those notifications.

I hope this helps. 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

michelinni
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I am still experiencing the same issue, the original IPN gets to my script and is processed fine, but whenever I try to resend it (the same one that went trough), it just fails and there's no HTTP Response,

How can I make it work even for resending, it has been more 10 or so days after the maintenance

Thanks

Login to Me Too

pps0
Contributor
Contributor

We're also seeing this issue, the IPNs are definitely not sent back to our URL, we're not filtering out any IPs so it's nothing on our end at fault.

Have contacted PayPal technical support to ask them to advise. Still awaiting their response.

Anyone else heard back from PayPal on this? Is the bug filed on a service status page anywhere?

Login to Me Too

scso1502
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal has failed to resolve the issue for me or anyone else. I contacted their merchant tech support and have never heard a thing back.

First I spent several hundred dollars and many hours of pulling my hair out to find out that this was a Paypal issue in the first place. This crippled my business. Then, when it's brought to their attention, they basically ignored it instead of making it a high priority. Had this been my company and I made the error, I would have not only annouced my plans to change things so my clients knew about it, but if anyone experienced problems, I would have fixed their problems for them.

I ended up paying someone to manually update all my previous records so I could continue with my business. I easily lost a week's wages over this. Paypal is a billion dollar company with virtually unlimited resources and yet they refuse to make fixes for problems they create like this a priority. They ream their clients with fees and can't even help them when they need it. Typical... The small fish continue to get eaten by the big fish and no one cares. Thanks Paypal! God I wish I could switch companies, but everyone wants a piece of you these days, so what's the point! No wonder small businesses can't thrive!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Bottom line.. Don't wait for Paypal, they could care less about your issues. Fixing them yourself is the only time-worthy solution.

Login to Me Too

pps0
Contributor
Contributor

Completely understand your frustration...

No reply as yet to my email either.

Login to Me Too

pps0
Contributor
Contributor

Chased up by phone and got a reply via email to my ticket:

"I indeed checked further after I sent you my reply earlier on and we have an issue regarding IPN resent as you're pointing out. "

"Our engineers are working on that and at the minute, I wouldn't have an ETA to give you but I'll follow up on that."

They apologise for the delay in responding to support requests (>48 hours) citing "unsual backlog recently"

I'll keep this post updated if/when I hear more.

Login to Me Too

scso1502
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the follow-up. No surpirse at the ambigous answer they gave. If you receive any fututre correspondence from them without asking first yourself, I'd be very surprised. They have already written us off I assure you. That's why I moved on and took care of my stuff on my own.

I'm sorry I sound so negative. For years Paypal, and to a larger extent eBay, have been raping sellers and merchants for fees to line the pockets of CEOs like Meg Whitman who throw money into the fire while we barely make ends meet. I'm sick of the greed and get frustrated when we can't even get the smallest satisfaction from the support system we all pay tons of fees for. Reminds me of the government and taxes. We pay a 1/3 or morn of our income to these people and receive nothing in return. 

Please do keep us posted. It will make for a good storry if nothing else.

Mike 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.