Did Someone Attemt To Hack My Account Or Scam Me?

KelleyNathan410
Contributor
Contributor
I woke up with messages from a guy who wanted to buy my phone for 500$. Seems reasonable for the iPhone 6 since it's the newest one out right now of the iPhones. Anywho, the guy told me that he deducted money out of his account to pay me the price in full. What do I get? No money and an account that says something along the lines of "to get service offers and your account back to regular standing, then enter your proof of name, proof of Bill, and my social security number". Is this normal? Will I get the money once all of that stuff is complete? HELP!
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Getting an unsolicited offer to buyer a phone for $500 is extremely UNreasonable and a sure sign of a scam.  Reasonable people don't just offer to buy a $500 phone from a stranger.

As the offer seems too good to be true it is also a sign of a scam.

A reasonable person doesn't deduct money from an account to pay a price.  If there is a sale, the person sends money to a PayPal address.  The statement is a sign of a scam.

The email apparently asks you to click a link to provide information.  This is another indication of a scam whereby someone wants you to privide your financial and personal details so they can hack into your accounts.  This is another sign of a scam.

Do you still need signals that this is a big time scam?

Hope you did not clickk the link and provide your private financial information.

If you did, you could carefully monitor all of the your personal financial acocunts and change all related passwords that you might have permitted to be compromised.

Login to Me Too

KelleyNathan410
Contributor
Contributor
Hey, thanks guy. I just wanted to be sure that it was a scam and indeed not some bs, but it is.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.