Can't link a Maestro Debit Card.

DankMayMayz
New Community Member

Can't link my new Maestro Debit Card. I just got it a few hours ago. When selecting the card type, the "Maestro" option is available. After filling in the required info, this is what I get: "Sorry, we can’t add this card. Please try adding a different card to your account." Does anyone know the answer or have a solution for this?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DankMayMayz

Don't think you can add a maestro in the US.

Click on the link below and select the country you want from the drop down list for options available in that country.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside&dispatch=5885d80a13...

THIS IS A REPLY FROM A PAYPAL MODERATOR ON THE SUBJECT.

Maestro cards can be a tricky one. As you may already know, in the UK a few years back, Maestro cards were phased out by banks and replacement cards were issued in the form of Visa Debit cards.

The process for each country with Maestro cards varies depending on the agreements in the specific country with local banks. For example, in France, customer's can add a Maestro card to PayPal but in the UK, Belgium and The Netherlands Maestro cards cannot be added to PayPal accounts.

It really comes down to the country in which the PayPal account was created in order to know if a Maestro card can be added to that PayPal account. 

If someone is trying to add a Maestro card to a PayPal account and they receive a message advising the card cannot be registered, I would think that would be due to the local banking requirements in that particular country preventing a Maestro card from being used on PayPal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.