Can I use my paypal account without a checking account?

laurel_27
Contributor
Contributor

I have a paypal account, but I no longer have a checking account and don't plan on opening one.  However, I use debit and credit cards.  I have recenly started doing some freelance writing and need a way to be paid online... but I don't see any option other than to add a checking account.  Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You really need a bank account and credit card linked to your account if you plan to do business, else PayPal may not work so well for your needs as you will have to put up with limits and holds.  Of course it's your choice, but if you want a good experience using PayPal, you need to have a verified account.  Note, your account should also be either a Premier or Business. 

Login to Me Too

laurel_27
Contributor
Contributor

okay, thank you.  I talked with someone on the phone and they first told me that I could get paid through my debit card, but then later said I would have no way to transfer the amount in my paypal account to the debit card.  Then she said that I could apply for a paypal debit card and could do it that way, but after reading about it online, I'm really not sure that would work either. 

Thanks again for trying to help me figure this out!

Login to Me Too

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The PayPal debit would allow you to withdraw funds from your PayPal Account balance.   It would work in the same manor as your bank account debit card.  You could make purchases and use ATMs.  The drawback is fees, suggest reading the card agreement before diving in.  Most people don't read any of the PayPal info, jump right in and then end up blaming PayPal for their hasty decisions.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.